Re: covered in adhesions

Sun Nov 13 22:55:02 2005

Vicki, I read your story and it sounds all too familiar. I have had 3 surgeries in the last 22 months due to stage 4 endometriosis, including hysterectomy, removal of both tubes and ovaries and cervix. Most recent surgery was this past May to remove my last tube and ovary along with a 9cm endometrial cyst and lysis of adhesions. My new gynocologist said that he had not seen endo that bad before and was not prepared or equipped to remove all of the endo that was on my bowel and bladder safely. I did another round of Lupron to help with pain and he watched me closely, but my pain never improved and my quality of life was suffering. I had terrible pain with bowel movements and and generally felt bound up and hurting all of the time, so he referred me to general surgeon to have a colonoscopy. This couldn't be completed past the lower part of my colon due to "sharp angulation".

He then referred me to a gynocological oncologist to have him review my case.

He felt that I needed to have another surgery to excise the remaining endometriosis (as you have to get all of it out or it will come back) and then deal with any adhesions. Oncologists deal with much more intricate surgeries to remove cancers and endo can act like a cancer. I had sugery again in October with my own gynocologist and the oncologist and they found that my colon was attached to my abdomen,endo spots on bowel, multiple adhesions attached up to my hip area and other areas of my pelvis, and adhesions had already wrapped around one of my ureters since my surgery in May. The oncologist even found a piece of my ovary left behind from my last surgery. This time however, the oncologist was skilled in using the adhesion barrier (Seprafilm) and they said that they used quite a lot of it. I am at my 3 week post op mark and already feel better than I have in 5 years! I am still worried about adhesions returning and endo coming back especially now that I have to consider hormone treatment (I am only 38 years old and too young for full menopause). You may want to ask about seeing a gynocological oncologist to see if they can help you if you don't have anyone that specializes in endometriosis exision. Good luck to you Mary

At Wed, 26 Oct 2005, vickifl05@yahoo.com wrote: >
>Hello All, Well I went to my post op yesterday. I had a lap done on the
>10th and major surgery may 05. I have lots of bad news. Endometriosis
>is graded and it goes from 1 to 40 most of us know endo in stages well
>stage 4 is a 40.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: