If you have recurring partial obstructions...

Mon Aug 29 20:10:25 2005

Most of us with adhesions get to experience the pain and agony of either full or partial bowel obstruction. One thing you can do to help yourself is to totally rethink what you eat. Think about it: Your digestive tract is basically a tube from the time food enters you mouth until it exits at the..... er... exit ramp. :-) If any part of that tube is restricted, it will take longer for the material to move past the obstruction, if it does at all, and wreaks all kinds of havoc such as pain, nausea and vomiting.

A low residue diet really helps me cut down on the pain and nausea symptoms of partial small bowel obstruction. I suspect many people are still attempting to eat "normally", as in the three-squares a day and snacks. We have to remember that with adhesions, we are no longer "normal"! Our bodies simply can't handle the good old meat and potatoes diet.

A low residue diet will run contrary to just about everything you've been told you should eat over the years. For instance, we've all heard about how bad refined flour breads are supposed to be. Guess what? It's more easily digested than whole grain breads, so feel free to try that "icky" soft white bread you grew up on. Raw fruit and vegetables that are so good for "normal" people are out with us. Cook the crap out of them so they're soft and don't have to stay in your stomach that long. You really have to think along the lines of baby foods. Really watch it with the fats - not because fat is intrinsically bad for you (we really do need some fats to stay healthy), but because they take so long to digest. The longer food stays in your digestive tract, the more trouble you're going to have.

Volume is another problem. Those 3 squares a day just won't work for people with bowel adhesions. Small amounts throughout the day are much more easily handled than 2 or 3 larger meals.

I'm not a doctor or even a nutritionist. This is just something I finally figured out over the years of dealing with adhesions. It is possible to have a primarily liquid diet for years and not only survive but maintain good nutrition as well. I'm living proof.

Try doing a Google search by typing in "low residue diet" (including the quotes) and you'll be surprised how much information is available. Here's hoping this info will help someone out there......

Best,

Smoothie Queen of the World :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: