Re: Questions about Adhesions after a Hysterectomy

Sat Aug 20 10:54:49 2005

Hi Jenny. The exact same symptoms happened to me after my open hysterectomy. I had massive adhesions all over my sigmoid (lower) colon that caused intermittent twisting and obstruction. Two areas of the colon had lost blood circulation necessitating a 2 foot resection. Thankfully, I had a very redundant colon so I could afford to lose some. :-)

Like you, the symptoms came and went for a time, but finally settled in to the point I could eat only liquids and required the big guns to get my bowels to move. So yes, it sounds likely that you have bowel adhesions.

At this time, there is no definitive test to diagnose adhesions. In the case of complete colon obstruction, it usually shows up on x-ray or barium enema films. Since your colon appears to be involved, get your mind right and be prepared for any surgeon to order a barium enema. The prep is the same as for colonoscopy and you will not be sedated. To be honest, it's a humiliating test, but the radiologist and techs were really great with me. Approaching it with a sense of humor helps a lot for all involved. :-D

You mention you're in East Texas - is it logistically possible for you to get into Houston or Dallas for treatment?

At Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Jenny wrote: >
>This is a generalized list of surgries to date
>
>2 D&C's
>2 Laparoscopies
>1 C-Section
>Removal of my uterus due to fibroid tumor Removal
>of overies and tubes drainage of a blood clot after
>surgery

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: