History of Adhesions - My story

Tue Jul 5 18:43:56 2005

I have had many previous hospitalizations and surgeries due to the complications from Adhesions Related Disorder (ARD). In 1997 I underwent surgery for a two-stage resection for a perforated diverticulum of the sigmoid colon.

In April, 2001 I herniated and the hernia was repaired with mesh. Prior to the hernia repair, in January 2001, I began having symptoms of uncontrolled vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain. These episodes have recurred several times a year often making me miss work for 2 - 8 weeks at a time. I have lost 3 jobs due to the illness that ARD has caused. I was finally diagnosed in 2003 when I had a small bowel obstruction due tothe adhesions. Currently I am working part-time for a company who has been able to accommodate by illness on a part-time basis. I am enclosing a table with this letter to show how the illness has affected me over the years. I have been having a recurrent episode for the past 4 weeks. I was referred to Pain Mangement but they felt there was nothing they could do for me.

I was hospitalized all of last week. My surgeon is going to perform an exploratory lapriscopy in approximately 3 weeks.

There are not guarantees but he would at least like to look and see what is going on.

He feels it is probably too risky to do anything and will probably need to back out of the operation once he sees what is going on inside.

In the past I have worked as a Machine Operator in which I had to leave that position because of the hernias that could form. Thereafter I worked as a cook and a patient sitter. The Cook position I left due to the unsanitary conditions of my illness and the patient sitter position I was asked to leave my full-time status and work on a per-diem schedule which mandated I work one weekend a month.

This did not work as if I was scheduled to work on that 4th weekend and had an episode, I could not meet the mandated per-diem hour requirements. I also have worked as a driver which I left due to my surgery in October 04. Currently I work as a clerk on a part-time basis.

Currently this illness is affecting my quality of life as I am still experiencing severe and uncontrollable vomiting at times along with severe abdominal pain. The illness occurs many times without warning.

I can be fine one minute and the next I am calling for an ambulance. I am not allowed to lift over 25 lbs as it can pull on the adhesions that have formed, this too limits what I am capable of doing in the workplace. Each episode can put me out of work anywhere from 2 - 8 weeks at a time and over the period of a year can be several months without any income. Some employers have asked that I not come back full time because of this illness.

This illness has become a financial burden as I am married with 3 children living in the home. When I am out of work I have not substitute income and it has put a hardship on my family.

Date 1997 Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever Perforated colin: two-stage resection of the sigmoid colin (reversed 6 months post initial surgery)

January 01 Vomiting, nausea, Pain Gastroenteritis

February 01 Vomiting, nausea, Pain Gastroenteritis

April 01 Hernia Repair Hernia Repair with mesh

August 02 Cramping, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting CT Abdomen +Divertriculitis

October 02 Abdominal Pain

October 21, 02 Abdominal Pain Endoscopy Colonoscopy

October 23, 2002 Abdominal Pain/Nausea CT Abdomen CT Pelvis

December 11, 2002 Cramping, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting

January 3, 2003 Abdominal Pain/Nausea Barium Enema with Contrast Minimal divertriculitis

January 7, 2003 Pain/Nausea Upper GI Series Negative

March 10, 2003 Second Opinion No new findings

September, 2003 Abdominal Pain, Nausea, Vomiting X-Ray Abdomen CT Pelvis CT Abdomen

September 03 Abdominal Pain, Nausea, Vomiting RAD/GI /Small Bowel October 15, 2005 - October 24, 2005 Abdominal Pain, Nausea, Vomiting X-Ray Abdomen CT Pelvis CT Abdomen Bowel Obstruction, Adhesions, Mesh Removal

November 6, 2003 Post-Surgical Follow up

December 1, 2003 Post-surgical Follow up

February 9, 2004 Abdominal Pain, Nausea Vomiting

March 8, 2004 Post-surgical Follow up

March 24, 2004 Hernia Repair Hernia Repair with Mesh

April 05 Abdominal Pain, Nausea, Vomiting X-Ray Abdomen CT Pelvis CT Abdomen All tests negative/Due to adhesions

May 05 Pain in lower abdomen Possible hernia

June 05 Abdominal pain, Nausea, Vomiting Adhesions: Referered to Dr. Gebert, Surgeon for possible adhediolysis: Given prescription for Compazine

June 14, 2005 Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting Adhesions: Too risky to perform surgery: tentative relief if any from surgery: Referred to Chronic Pain Management

June 16, 2005 Abdominal Pain, Nausea, Vomiting Adhesions: Referral given for Pain Management: Hydrocodone prescription for pain

June 28, 2005 Abdominal Pain, Nausea, Vomiting Small Bowel Series/Negative Admitted to Hospital for 3 days for pain, nausea, vomiting

July 19, 2005 Hospitalization Follow Up

July 21 Hospitalization Follow-up Possibly scheduling exploratory lapriscopic surgery

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: