hope I made the right decision

From: International Adhesions Society (tracy.joslin@adhesions.org)
Sat Jun 18 20:26:42 2005

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Eva Thomas Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:55 PM Subject: hope I made the right decision

Hello everyone,

I've been home from the hospital for almost a week now. Had suffered from recurrent SBO's from adhesions and radiation damage for many years with each yr getting worse. Pain,bloating, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting at least 2x/month.

I took care of most of them at home when I shouldn't have, taking a huge risk. My doc's have been telling me for yrs to at least come in for an acute abdominal x-ray series to make sure I'm not totally blocked and leaking. They wanted to hold off on elective surgery for as long as possible without waiting for an ER situation.

This yr got so bad I was forced more and more into a liquid diet/more meds. This last episode (May) I was hospitalized, the docs suggested I should try surgery since parts of my SB have been so distended/narrowed for such a long time. Even the NG tube couldn't decompress my bowels.

I refused at first. I know about all the complications and dangers. After talking to my family, who thought I had gone long enough, I concented. The open lap revealed massive adhesions and something called "radiation enteritis" (damage from prior pelvic radiation due to cervical cancer).

One 3rd of the SB had to be removed and the rest resectioned. I've been home now for almost 1 week and believe to be recuperating ok. My last adhesion lap was 15yrs ago. I'm hoping so much that I will never have to go through this sort of surgery again.

I hope I've made the right decision with this surgery. I can't believe some people have to have these surgeries over and over again. I feel for you all. That scares me. Any positives out there?

For you who have recurrent partial SBO's from adhesions these sites are my life savers. I start with diet 1 after an episode. Also get yourself one of those Rival/Braun hand blenders. That way you can pour soup or other liquids into a cup/soup bowl and blend it just for you. No need to get the large blender dirty.

[Moderator: please request URL info previously mentioned here through private message to author of this message]

Also search sites for "low fat","low residue" (no seeds, no nuts, no skins, no pulp, no strings) and "liquid diet". You might also want to try those Phsyllium Husks (Metamucil). This is a soluble fiber (the no-gum-form) which can help relieve cramps and Diarrhea. It helps create a smoothe passage through the bowels. I took 1/4 teaspoon 2-4x/day with juice before eating. This was recommended to me by a dietician. My history: appendectomy cesarean hysterectomy lysis of adhesions (4 weeks after hysterectomy!) gallbladder removal 2. lysis of adhesion and resectioning Take care and send those positive feed backs Eva

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: