Mon Mar 21 19:37:54 2005

At Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Kim wrote: >
>"I am 36 years old and just recently started researching about
>adhesions online. I had no idea that so many people suffer from this
>problem.
>I have been living with this pain for over 10 years now. I have
>underwent numerous surgeries to remove the adhesions. "

Hi, Kim.

I'm so sorry you for your situation. Believe me, I can relate with the frustration. Unfortunately, your story is not unlike a lot of stories I hear where people have had surgeries upon surgeries, yet no one has told them that surgery only creates more adhesions. Sadly, many doctors don't believe that adhesions cause pain and some don't believe that adhesions will recur, which is almost laughable!

If you cut your knee over and over in the same place, it doesn't keep your knee from scarring - - in fact, the scar becomes tougher! But, my point in writing you is that I can read in your text how hopeless you feel. If you can, try to get to a point where you learn to deal with what simply is. You can't go back and re-do the past all over and take away the surgeries, and there's no sure fire surgical method currently available that will permanently eliminate adhesions so for you to move forward you've got to determine the best way to cope with where you are. I do know that's easier said than done. But, I work in the medical field and am around health care professionals all day long. Frankly, I can tell you that, on the whole, you'll find doctors much more willing to partner with you if they see that you are taking charge of your own healthcare and are armed with the facts of your condition. They see so many people who are shopping for drugs and trying to find a quick fix for their problem that, sadly, they lump all of us in the same bin. That's unfair, but it's life. So, my point is to look at alternatives - - if that means going to pain management, then by all means go. They don't always just prescribe narcotics. Maybe yoga, accupuncture, a mild anti-depressant, etc. There are certain anti-depressants that work specifically to block pain receptors. Or, maybe, myofascial release, relaxation techniques, etc. Remember, some improvement is better than none. Sometimes if you just see a little improvement it's enough to give your mind a relief from the cycle of pain. If all else fails, there are a few doctors that you'll see mentioned from time to time on this board who are willing to tackle these beasts surgically and have reasonable success. Hope this helps a little.

--
Anita

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: