Bloating/Adhesions

Sat Mar 5 21:43:30 2005

Hi Everyone,

I posted here before about the problems my mom was having with bloating.

Her stomach bloats up frequently and she looks like she is 9 mos pregnant. Have any of you experienced this? What do you do? She went throug h a bunch of tests and everything came back normal.

The gi said basically she can not find anything to explain my mom's bloating and the only thing she can think of is that adhesions are the cause. My mom has had problems in the past because of adhesions. She had surgery in June 2003 to remove adhesions. No, the gi told her she is probably faced with the same situation again. There is nothing more she can do to help her. Her only other option would be to find a doctor willing to operate on her for adhesions.

My mom's prior surgeon is refusing to do so. So, we are meeting with a colorectal surgeon next week. I live near Albany, NY and his name is Dr. Brian Valerian. I don't think he specializes in adhesions, but he is supposed to be one of the best colorectal surgeons in my area. Has anyone ever heard of him? My mom talked to him on the phone and he said he would consider operating. He might try to do the procedure laparoscopically but if he has any problems, he is going to stop and do a laparotomy. My mom doesn't really want to have another surgery, but feels there is no other option. She doesn't want to continue living with the constant bloating almost every day. It is embarrassing and uncomfortable. Do you think she is doing the right thing having surgery? I am nervous because of the risk and possible complications, but I have to support her decision. If anyone has any info on this they would like to talk to me about, please let me know by posting or emailing me directly. I also have instant messenger, but I am not sure if I am allowed to post my screen name.

Email me and I will give it to you if you want to chat sometime. I just want to be as educated as possible on my mom's condition and surgery. I would love to hear from anyone. Thanks for listening and take care! Jenn

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: