Re: Adhesions from Peritonitis

Wed Jan 19 19:53:24 2005

I don't know how you people can have a colonoscopy if you have abdominal adhesions! They can't even do a sigmoidoscopy on me because the bowel is so rigid due to adhesions that their instruments cannot move through the bowel. All I can have is a lower and upper G.I. series which is not as accurate, but better than nothing.

Surgery is out. The doctor said my bowels can be compared to a garden hose tossed in a barrel. Then someone pouring cement over the hose...then trying to cut through the cement to get to the bowel. He also calls me a "walking time bomb." Isn't that wonderful?

I've come to the point that everything I eat causes pain because everything I eat causes gas (gas pain). I take Lactase enzymes with milk products and BEANO enzymes for vegetable and legumes then I take GAS-X after I eat because I still need it. Am I missing something?

I've been hospitalized 8 times for bowel obstructions but luckily they opened after 2-3 days each time without surgery. Everytime I eat I wonder if this is going to cause me to obstruct.

My other big problem: our insurance company cancelled our entire group as of Dec. 31 and I haven't been able to get insurance because of my high risk pre-existing condition. We can put aside money each month to pay hosp. bills, but we won't get a negotiated fee as people with insurance do. The average hospital bills here in California seem to run around $8-10,000 per day and that's what I would be billed. If one has insurance, the insurance company negotiates a lower price and only has to pay around $2000 and the patient only owes about $400. I've written to our congressman and state senator to see if we can't get a law that would forbid hospitals from billing private patients more than they do insurance companies.

>
> From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On
> Behalf Of Dee1020tt@aol.com
> Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 4:42 P
> Subject: Re: Adhesions from Peritonitis
>
> Jane,
> Unfortunately, any tests you have concerning the abdomin area such as
> ct scans and so forth are going to come out negative. Reason being is
> that adhesions do not show on any test except for having a colonoscopy
> by your gi doctor. I know that from personal experience. I was just
> hospitalized again over the holidays. I was diagnosed with