Miralax

Fri Oct 29 18:02:16 2004

Does anyone else find relief with taking a daily dose of Miralax? I cannot stand a full dose, just 3/4, or I have too many spasms and nausea. However, it has helped my functional bowel disorder caused by 15 surgeries, IBS, prolapses, partial obstructions that tore facia as well as hyper-spasming intestines since I was born. The spasm are so strong, I was in full "10" labor contractions every 2 - 5 minutes for 7 1/2 weeks with first baby - while on IV med to stop labor. She ended up being a week and a half late!! It was just irritating my instestines.

It got so bad,for 2 years I had to defecate "digitially" (nerve damage in rectum caused pooling and impaction with constipation). I spasm so hard every day, I know I continue to make adhesions. Since the last surgery in 2002, a new one seems to be attached to my diapraghm and I burp like a Jurasic Park dinosaur (6-8 x/minute for 5 hours or more). The diaphragm also spasms painfully all the way around to the back and starts the right para-spinal muscle to spasm too.

I had my first partial obstruction since the last surgery in July - from 10/2002 6/2004. Use to have one every 3 months. Anyway, they started me on the Miralax and now I have 5-6 small bms a day with no pooling, constipation or need for enemas, etc. I've learned to take it at night (cramps about 4 hours after taking) and 1 hour before or 2 hours after any meds or they don't get absorbed. It also cuts down the nausea and spasming. I use to use Go-lytely, but that just "went around" the constipation. Miralax seems to soften and push thru my low motility. I drink it in "crystal light" drink mix. I use it with the Zelnorm twice a day. Pain reduced from scale of 9 -6 or 7 on average per day.

Also, how do you make doctors understand adhesions hurt? I go to Walter Reed Hospital and most docs there think I'm crazy or drug seeking. They can't see that pain killers help slow down the hyper-spasming whereas anti-spasmodics shut down the peristalis completely for me = instant obstruction. When the burping or hyper-spasming killer-nausea keeps on for hours and hours, I feel sure it creates more bleeding by pulling so hard on all those adhesions. They know I have massive adhesions, and say another surgery will likely be my last since it will take at least 8 hours to get thru the adhesions just to get to the obstruction or the infected diverticulum (newly created since last surgery). And yet they can't understand why I need pain relief every day just to have any quality of life!!!!

I am thinking about the endo-gyn spray gel operation in Germany as a pre-emptive action, since it will be too late to go once I'm in full obstruction, and that could happen any day. I'm concerned that my congenital hyper-spasming will just bring back the adhesions anyway - even if they can prevent new ones from the operation. Has anyone whose had that surgery in Germany had hyper-spasm related trouble afterward?

With affection and humor...

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: