Pelvic Adhesions - infertility - surgery....again?

Wed Sep 22 19:56:34 2004

Hello to all!

I am a 35 year old female. My first surgery was back in 1989 with a laparoscopie to remove a grapefruit size dermoid cyst on my ovary. To date I have had 12 surgeries (combination of laparoscopies, laparotomies, oopherectomy and omentectomy), last surgery was just last week which was an attempted laparoscopie. All surgeries were due to ovarian cysts/benign tumors and removal of adhesions while in there to remove the cysts. The surgery last week was done to remove a new problem which is endometriosis (in particular endometrioma on the right ovary). I no longer have my left ovary and have a portion of the right ovary remaining. Once beginning the surgery last week, he was unable to continue because the adhesions were so bad...he said he viewed all around and everything was just one big "gobb" and he had a hard time just simply determining what organs were what. He said he could not even see my liver and where my bladder was supposed to be it wasn't there...it was totally adhered to my uterus! Although children are something I've always wanted, I want my health to be okay first. I've accepted the fact that I may not have children although I am still "hoping" there may be a chance.

I am scheduled to see my oncologist 10/1/04 to discuss him performing a laparatomy to remove the endometrioma and the adhesions OR possibly just do a complete hysterectomy to do away with the adhesions once and for all. I am wondering if yet another laparotomy to remove the adhesions and endometrioma while preserving fertility and using a new "anti-adhesion" method may work long enough to conceive. Realizing I need to speak with him for a definitive answer, am I crazy for thinking a complete hysterectomy will "do away with" the adhesions? I am wondering if perhaps the uterus, ovaries and tubes are removed, are the adhesions just going to continue to grow on the bladder, bowel, intestines, etc.? I don't know if anyone can answer any of those questions or can offer any advice but any experiences or words anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: