Re: FW: pain management

Wed Sep 8 10:13:18 2004

Jeanne,

I am so sorry to hear your pain has returned. We always hope for the best with surgery but with adhesions I guess you just never know what will happen.

I had surgery out in CA last Oct thinking it would solve my problems and within a few months I was worse than before the surgery. I was sent to pain management--I was VERY sceptical about the whole thing. I didn't want to try a lot of trigger point injections and I had already done Neurontin. I was surprised that the doc I saw actually beleived in my pain and was willing to do whatever it took to help me be functional again. I don't think it is possible to totally get rid of the pain (I never have anyway) but through trial and error I am able to function again. My pain management doc believes visceral pain (abdominal and pelvic type pain) responds best to narcotic therapy, so that is what I have to do. I tried several things before finding the right combination. I take Dilaudid with Naltrexone and when the pain is really bad (and I can afford it) I use the Duragesic Patches. So far it is working ok. I still have pain and I still have days when I can barely move, but I also have lots of good days where I am able to get out and feel like a normal person.

Keep in mind that sometimes you have to go through a few pain management docs before you find the right one for you--just like looking for a regular doctor. I actually had my surgeons office call around and find someone who dealt with pain like mine so that I would not have to go through a bunch of doctor shopping.

I hope you can find some relief soon!

Hugs Becky

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: