Adhesions/Disability/New Doctor won't help

Mon Aug 2 21:13:27 2004

I am 33 years old and have suffered for over four years with gynecological problems that resulted in my having to endure nine surgeries, numerous hospitalizations and many expensive tests. During the last four or five proceedures, the surgeon mentioned that my pelvis looked like it had spider webs growing. He explained that these were adhesions, and that there was no cure. He broke up the adhesions with his finger, and told me that I would have problems probably for the rest of my life and would require treatment (laporoscopic surgery) in eight to ten months. After six months, I went to the emergency room with pelvic pain that was about a nine on the pain scale. I was given pain medication and told to see a surgeon.

Unfortunately, I have recently moved from Florida to North Carolina, and although my new doctor has requested my medical records, he is not convinced that adhesions are the cause of my pain. Before he will do a laporoscopy, he is making me go through and upper G.I., colonoscopy, CAT scan, etc. I relied on Medicaid in Florida to pay for these things, and in North Carolina, you must be on disability to receive Medicaid. Until I am approved, I am waiting in tremendous pain.

I would like to request any help that you may be able to give. I have printed information from your site to send to the disability people, but if there is any other assistance you can give, please let me know.

Additionally, I would like to offer myself for any type of experimental medication or study that may be going on for the cure of adhesions. The only medication that effectively relieves the pain makes me so dopey that I can not drive or even think clearly, and I am desperate for some help other than surgery since this new doctor is reluctant to do it.

I see from the other posts that I am not alone in this and I realize that many are worse than I, but my problems are severly affecting my family as well as myself and I would very much appreciate any help you can offer.

Sincerely,

--
Susan Esler

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: