Pain Medication

From: International Adhesions Society (tracy.joslin@adhesions.org)
Thu Mar 4 07:25:08 2004

Hi, Actually I am writing about pain medication. With all others suffer I feel sure some may be able to give me some good suggestions. Here is my dilemma: I am allergic to morphine and went into anaphylactic shock when I had a shot once. I was told never to use it again and to warn any DR I might visit.

In addition to that I either get very ill when I take pain medication (I'm also allergic or have reactions to several other types of medication.. Including Penicillin, Codeine, and several others.) Or the pain medication doesn't work.. I am now very wary of taking medication but there are times I will. Many times it's another one of those... "can't take that" thingy again.. A DR after surgery prescribed Duragesic 50ug/h (Fentanyl Transdermal System) Patch.. I understand its a form of morphine.

A pharmacist long time friend suggested I not take it until further consultation with my DR who was out of town at the time. They were concerned because of my serious reaction to morphine. My question is... With my medication allergies.. does anyone have any suggestions as to what possible medications I might look into that might help me? I can take demeral.. but that's the only one I've been able to take without reactions ranging from pure nausea to severe reactions. I have had surgery and because the DR's were so afraid to give me anything due to my past prescription reactions I was given no pain medication at all. Also as a pedestrian I was struck by a car. I had a broken humerus bone in left arm, a disk fracture with excruciating pain into both legs, shoulder blades and upper back bruised, and both shoulder rotator cuff damage and nerve damage to both arms as well as muscle, ligaments, and tendons torn and damaged. Through it all at that time they were afraid to give me medication for pain. So I received nothing and the pain was severe. Now I know I can take demerol but recently I had to have the ulnar nerve transposed and carpal tunnel syndrome surgery. Both, the neurosurgeon said, was so severe he could barely cut through the adhesions with his scapal. He said it was one of three of the worse cases he had ever seen. And though he did prescribe the Fentanyl I could not take it.. The pain was great and there was nothing I could do.. Anyone's suggestions will definitely be appreciated.. Thanks to all... KhC

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: