Re: Hysterectomy the answer?

Tue Dec 30 22:28:04 2003

Hi Joanne,

I can't really answer your question specifically but wanted to give you something else to think about as a possible source of your pain.

Has anyone ever raised the possibility that you could have endometriosis? Endo is a disease where tissue similar to the lining of the uterus grows in the pelvis and attaches itself to various pelvic and abdominal organs and structures. You mention having pelvic pain, have your doctors just assumed it was adhesions? Endometriosis can be the source of pelvic adhesions as the implants respond to our hormone cycles and bleed each month when we have our menses. The problem arises when this blood being released by the endometriotic implants has no way to exit the body. It is an irritant to surrounding tissues and can cause adhesions and other problems along with pain.

I suspected possible endometriosis in your case when you commented that your doctor has started you on lupron and it is helping with your pain. Lupron is a treatment for endo symptoms although I know it has been used for other things as well. Have you noticed if your pain coincides with your menses or perhaps worsens with your menses? Painful urination and painful bowel movements are two additional symptoms of endometriosis.

If indeed you have endo, having a hysterectomy is not going to relieve you of the pain. All endo must be surgically removed in order to provide pain relief. The problem is that not all gyn's are experienced enough in recognizing and removing endo and the patient can have radical surgery like a hysterectomy and continue with pain.

I have endo, I've been living with it for 16 years. If I can help you in any way I'd be happy to give it my best shot. Feel free to e-mail me privately if you'd like. My e-mail address is Tigger6040@aol.com Please include adhesions in the subject line.

Hang in there!

--
Debbie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: