Can adhesions form after a year?

From: International Adhesions Society (tracy.joslin@adhesions.org)
Sat Dec 13 17:27:35 2003

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf Of K Nygren Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 1:02 PM Subject: Re: Can adhesions form after a year?

Hi!

Adhesions begin forming during surgery and stop forming after a week or two. The only thing that occurs then is that they strengthen and tighten and begin to pull over time. People have been known to have had appendectomies as children and not have pain or other symptoms until 20 - 30 years later. Remember, almost everyone forms adhesions, but not everyone has problems with them. Each person is different in their adhesion pain....I usually develop mine immediately, while others may have a brief relief from their pain...my friend would be free of pain for up to 2 years after surgery so once she hit that magical two year number (after a quality adhesiolysis), she knew that she was free of her adhesions. But, adhesions do not continue to form over the years...unless you have blunt force trauma to the abdomen (as in a car accident....seatbelts are a well-known cause of adhesions) or an abdominal infection. Our adhesion pain comes from the adhesions tightening up and pulling the affected parts which could be on totally opposite sides of the abdomen. Don't worry, you aren't the first to think that adhesions continue to form. Take the time to research this site, read the archives, etc. There is so much information out there to learn.

Karla

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: