Re: Adhesions do NOT continue to grow -- unless....

Sun Sep 28 16:39:21 2003

I read this with great interest. I have had numerous surgeries, as for the most pertinent recent ones, my hysterectomy (uterus only)was in 1999 and in July 2002 I had to have two large abdominal masses removed. The doctor stated that the endometriosis (he also took the ovaries and tubes) and adhesions were so severe that he had to literally carve out all my organs. I continued to have problems beginning three months post-op and have gone through countless CT scans. There is another cyst and several lesions. I developed a hernia and they decided it was best that it was taken care of before anything else as they were still monitoring size before deciding what to do with everything else. I had the hernia surgery on Sept. 3rd and the doctor said I had 8 hernias and the worst case of adhesive disease he has ever seen. It was everywhere. So, I would tend to believe that it does indeed continue to grow. It had invaded areas where I had not had prior surgery to that point. At least it explained some pain issues I had that kept sending me to the ER countless times without anything additional showing up on the CT scans. You would think with all this modern technology that some type of scan would define the adhesive disease and show how severe it is and where it is. The sad part is that there is still a lot of adhesions left lower in the abdomen and I am still looking at more surgery. When I first found this site I cried when I read half of the information and posts. I hate to think of this being a life long thing but I know that it will be. I have fought adhesive disease in the jaw joints for 14 years now and am scheduled for my 11th surgery to remove them yet again. Every two to three years they have to go in and remove the adhesions to free the jaw up to get it moving again.

At Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Helen Dynda wrote: >
>In a message dated 12/31/2002 6:10:09 PM Central Standard Time,
Helen Dynda olddad66@runestone.net writes: >
>The question -- "Do adhesions keep growing?" -- has been brought up on the
Message Board many times in the past! Helen D.

****************************** In a message dated January1/ 04/2003 8:39 PM Central Standard Time, Dr. David Wiseman, Ph.D.

--
Synechion@aol.com writes Re: Do adhesions keep growing?

Dear Helen

Many thanks for this. Please post my reply.

" Adhesions probably do not continue to grow (i.e. to spread). Once they have formed, there should be no reason for them to spread, unless there is further insult to the area (e.g. continued infection, endometriosis, more surgery, cancer etc.)

" They will probably "harden", or more correctly "toughen" - becuase what started out as flimsy adhesions may progress to more fibrous "grisle" adhesions. Why some people may take years to show problems due to adhesions is unknown." > >Dr. Wiseman

--

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: