Re: [none]

Wed Aug 13 22:16:56 2003

Hi Debbie,

I "read alot" into your brief post. First, I am sorry you are back in the hospital, I imagine it must be scary feeling like you can't get enough air. But I do know that steroids will help calm things down in the breathing department. Hang in there, sounds like you have COPD and if so, you can do lots of things to decrease flair-ups (quitting smoking is THE best thing and you have done that!)

Do steroids help adhesions? No. Adhesions are scar tissue that are made of collagen and are not affected by steroids.

Could adhesions in the upper abd affect your breathing? Depends where they attach to. The diaphragm is the muscle that is a big component in your breathing - it kind of separates the lung area from the abd area, and when it contracts helps you to breath. If adhesions are stuck to it, it is possible that they would inhibit the movement of the diaphragm and therefore affect your ability to inhale a big breath. Beyond saying it is anatomically possible for adhesions to affect your breathing, I don't know if it is affecting YOUR breathing - only a laparoscopy can say for sure.

I wish you the best, hang in there -- there are hard days and good days, so if this is a hard day know that a better day is just around the corner! Judy On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 12:40 PM, Debbie Soder wrote:

> hi. Back in hospital. This time its a breathing
> problem. May be emphysema. May be asthma. My dad
> passed last month due to emphysema. I quit smoking 14
> yrs ago. they have me on sterioids. Does anyone know
> if these affect adhesions? Also if adhesions are on
> upper abdomen could this affect my breathing?
>
> The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
>
> http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: