variety of symptoms, no answers...all due to adhesions?

Fri Aug 8 04:25:48 2003

I posted the following message on a general gyno message board, but got no answer. It looks like this might be a more appropriate place for it...

I've had a variety of strange symptoms since a laparoscopy five months ago (to remove ovarian cyst, right side). These include recurring cysts, abdominal pain (right side - no cyst), bloating and gas, chronic nausea, eczema on my elbows and right toe that won't go away and, most notably, excessive thirst and urination (I drink ~5 liters of water per day and it doesn't feel like enough). Blood and urine tests were remarkably normal, CT scan showed only left side cyst (4cm) and fluid in the cul-de-sac (two weeks after period). MRI shows normal hypophysis. Kidneys are normal in ultrasound and CT scan. Colonoscopy was clear. On my last visit to the gyno, my right ovary was tender to the touch. I was starting to believe I had adhesions causing a partial intestinal obstruction leading to malabsorption (and hence the thirst), but the colonoscopy doctor said malabsorption would cause me to lose weight, not gain (I have gained 10 kg - that's 22 lbs! that's 1/5 of my normal weight!). He also said he didn't think the thirst was related to adhesions, even though that's likely the cause of my pain. I'm so confused, because everything started at the same time. I never had any of these problems before the laparoscopy.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone know if my thirst could be related to my discontinuing epilepsy medication after 12 years (phenobarbital - stopped about 2 weeks after laparoscopy)?

p.s. thanks for all the replies to my question about Dr. K! It didn't realize there had been a big argument going on previously - sorry. I wasn't trying to stir things up or anything...

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: