BRAT diet for nausea, vomiting and diarrhea

Sun Jul 6 06:50:46 2003

BRAT DIET: Treatment of Diarrhea, Nausea & Vomiting

Dietary treatment for diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting includes the following:

1) Ice chips or sips of water only, until vomiting stops.

2) Consume only clear liquids for 24 to 48 hours. Start with small quantities of water first and slowly increase volume of fluid intake, adding:

- Weak tea with or without sugar or honey - Flat Pepsi, Coke, 7-Up, Ginger Ale (bubbles can be stirred out with a spoon) - Apple juice diluted to ˝ strength with water (no other fruit juices) - Kool-aid - Jello - Broth - Gatorade diluted to ˝ strength with water

3) As the diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting significantly improve the following may be added slowly:

- Bananas - Rice, rice cereals, noodles, potatoes (may be lightly salted or seasoned with broth) - Apples, applesauce - Toast, bread, crackers (without butter; jelly or jam is acceptable)

4) When the diarrhea, nausea or vomiting has resolved for 24 hours on the BRAT diet (#3 above), lean meats, fruits, and vegetables should be tried gradually for one to two days more. At this point, dairy products may be added one at a time in limited amounts. Continue drinking lots of clear fluids. (Urine should be clear, not yellow.)

NOTE: Dairy products (milk, butter, cheese, and eggs) should not to be ingested until the problem is complete resolved. Orange juice, grapefruit juice and fried, spicy, or fatty foods should also be avoided. Adapted from Emergency Medicine: A Quick Reference for Primary Care by John Hocutt, MD

--
I'm no doctor, just a fellow sufferer like you but I hope you consider me a new friend.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: