Re: Newbie - anyone with ureters involved?

Mon Jun 16 17:20:47 2003

SuziQ,

I am sorry that I was unable to respond sooner, but once again I have been in the hospital. I had bi-lateral pyelenephrosis...or however it is spelled, along with gallstones that decided to act up. I didn't even realize how bad it was...the doctor told me today that I shouldn't have waited so long...my blood pressure crashed a couple days after I was admitted...and he doesn't know that I really have a history of things coming on really quickly. Anyway, on to your question.

I have adhesions that are wrapped around my ureters. I also have a urostomy which means that I have no bladder. The adhesions are wrapped around the base of my urostomy so my urine is always backing up into my kidneys. Be very thankful that your physician did not push any further. He could very well have done much more damage. When you look for a nephrologist...actually I have never really seen a nephrologist (other than when I am in kidney failure) make sure he/she understands adhesions and doesn't just blow them off....or make statements that he/she can handle them. I say this because many doctors will tell you they deal with adhesions all the time and that they are experts...but often times they are not. I truly trusted my urologist. He was very compassionate, worked at a teaching hospital and the expert everyone told me to see. Unfortunately, I only realized, after 27 surgeries, that I should have been asking a lot more questions.

Hope this helps a little. You may write to me privately. I don't visit the site much anymore, but am still willing to help others.

--
Karla

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: