Post-Surgical Adhesions???

Sat Apr 26 17:22:38 2003

This is my first time here and, although I am a guy, I am searching for answers about the pain like so many of you that I have read about in this forum. I probably don't belong in this group, but PLEASE hear me out and offer ANY advice.

Last August, my family doctor sent me in for a CT scan to try and find out about some recurring kidney stone problems. What he discovered instead has turned my whole life upside down. I have bilateral renal cell carcinoma (malignant tumors on both kidneys). The first urologist and oncologist felt that it was inoperable. The tumor on the right side was 4 inches in diameter and the left one was 6 inches and had spread into the adrenal gland and some regional lymph nodes (stage IIIB cancer). They referred me to a larger regional clinic, which was a blessing from above. They did immediate surgery to remove the tumor and about 1/3 of the right kidney. Six weeks later, they performed a radical nephrectomy on the left side, removing the whole kidney, adrenal gland, some lymph nodes, and some surrounding tissue. The surgeon then put me under the care of an oncologist to deal with the possible further spread of the cancer.

He is a great oncologist, but does not seem to understand why I have had continuous sharp pain in my left side and abdomen for six months now. Everything I have read on this website and in this forum sounds like my pain. The doctor has me on two pain medications----one very strong one that is designed for injured or damaged nerves and a "medium" one to take the edge off during the daytime. I am working now, but do not like feeling that I am constantly dazed, "clumsy", and exhausted all day. As soon as I get home each day, I eat, take my evening dosages of pain meds and go to sleep. I want to stop the pain and not take these medications. They have done ultrasounds and CT scans and have found nothing wrong. I have accepted my cancer plight and can deal with that-----this constant pain, however, is a fight that I seem to be losing.

I live in South Carolina and am in very good health, other than the cancer and this pain problem (he said, tongue-in-cheek!!).

ANY HELP OR ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

--
Doug in SC

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: