Re: You asked about having (more) surgery?

Tue Mar 25 19:58:27 2003

Hi Helen, I have had two opinions, of sorts. And in January and February I had three epidurals, which didn't help too much. I'm glad I had them before I read your post about the Burton Report, because that has really creeped me out. I had a diskectomy at C5-6 in 1989 but without fusion. Then I re-injured myself enough to always be in pain: very stiff and sore all over and all of the time. I have been on and off meds for the entire time, and nothing has really helped. At least not at the amount they were prescribing. But I had two young kids, and I did not want to be knocked out anyway.

Yes, I'm aware I can get adhesions anyway, but I have totally run out of juice: there is no more energy, no more inertia.... no more life. It took me 5 weeks to even drive again after this last surgery! Never in my life would I have thought it would take that long to feel up to it. All of this really hit me this past Fall. My neck is "falling apart" at C4-5 and C6-7, the levels above and below where the initial surgery was done. I have spurring and severe canal stenosis and cord flattening. The stenosis is progressive, which is why I think I've slowly been feeling worse and worse over the years. I didn't have this stenosis at the time I had my original surgery. The DDD stands for Degenerative Disc Disease. All of these problems stem from a horseback riding incident in which I got whiplash (that's my lousy jumping technique, coupled with a helmet that was too small, coupled with extreme stupidity and stubborness). It's hard to put my pain on a scale, because it's so diffuse. But I would say I'm pretty consistently at about a 5. Then there are the bad days... and a few good days! The doctor gives me a 90% chance of feeling "dramatically better", and I have to take those chances, Helen. I've done deep tissue massage therapy for about 6 years and also acupuncture in addition to all the different meds. Conservative treatment has not worked, so it's time to do something else. wr

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: