Disciplinary Actions and Pain Relief: Analysis of the Pain Relief Act

Sun Mar 2 17:26:05 2003

Disciplinary Actions and Pain Relief: Analysis of the Pain Relief Act...Sandra H. Johnson (c) 1996 by the American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics.

http://www.painandthelaw.org/aslme_content/24-4c/24.4c.html

" The problem is pain. Patients and their families tell the story: " He is your son. You love him. You want to help him in every way you can, but when he is in that kind of pain, you are helpless in a sense.... I'm his daddy. It was--what was I supposed to do for him? I felt, you know, helpless.

" It terrifies you. You want to run away from it. Pain is something you wish would kill you but does not. Agony results from the pain that does not have the decency to knock you out.

" We had a good family, but how much can you watch? How much suffering can you watch from your child, your 7-year-old child, and still keep your mind?

" I am a forty-six-year-old registered nurse who specializes in oncology care and education. I am also a patient who suffers from chronic nonmalignant pain, and this malady has been the most frightening, the most humiliating, and the most difficult ordeal of my life....The general tenor of the medical advice that was given to me was this: I would just have to learn to live with the pain...I found myself begging, as though I were a criminal. Defensive and angry and yet in such great need, I would beg forgiveness for having this pain. I became withdrawn, completely disabled by my terrible, relentless pain. I was unable to function professionally. I was unable to be much of a wife or a mother, a daughter or a friend...Now, when I see unnecessary suffering caused by intractable, "mismanaged" chronic pain, I am disgusted. As a health care provider, I am ashamed."

THERE IS MUCH MORE TO READ AT THE ABOVE WEBSITE....

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: