How do I know if I have adhesions?

Fri Feb 14 08:11:25 2003

In December 2001, I underwent a gastric bypass. In January, 2002 I had a stomach virus and spend 7 days in the hospital. In June, 2002 I had a stricture just below my stomach opened. Since January, I have suffered from stomach aches. Sometimes the pain is so severe that I end up on the ground, rolled in a ball for hours. At first my doctor ordered tests to see if it was my gall bladder - no. Then she just kind of gave up looking. I felt like she believed that it was my imagination. She said I would just have to learn to live with it. Sometimes I will have three or four episodes a week. Then I may go for a week or two with nothing. Sometimes I spend hours vomiting (dry heaves) along with the stomach pain (the pain is just below my ribs near the site of my new stomach).

I went to see a surgeon this week and he said that it sounded like I had adhesions, but that he couldn't actually tell me that I did - there was no difinitave test. He didn't want to rush into anything.

I live from day to day wondering if I am going to spend it in pain. I do not want to have unneccesary surgery - I am scared they will do the surgery, find nothing. How likely is it that I have adhesions? I am not in constant pain. I also seem to have more episodes when I go to Jazzercise three times a week.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: