adhesions?endometriosis

Tue Feb 11 06:18:10 2003

Hi, I am new to this site but so glad that I found it. I recently had a hysterectomy for chronic abdominal and pelvic pain and stage 4 endometriois. My life has been a nightmare with this for years. I will be 44 in a few months. Of course each time they did a surgery there were lots of adhesions and they had to be cut down. During my second lap for endo they severed the inferior epigastric artery which caused a lot of bleeding. they were not able to stop the bleed through the scope so they had to topen me off and clamp off the bleeder. The clips they used were left intentionally behind. After that my pain was chronic and worse. Lupron seemed to help by shutting me down. Three more surgeries were needed after that botchup because of pain. Ultimately I needed the hysterectomy and I don't regret doing it. I no longer have horrific ovualtion with ovarian cysts and terrible menstruation. HRT only made matters worse so I couldn't take it. For 4 months after the surgery I was actually feeling better. then.........it all started again. because of other health problems I was having my dr thought it would be a good idea to take some hrt.I was reluctant because of past history but finally gave in to their instance. Immediatley after i started the hrt the swelling and pain returned! I mean by day 5.I had to stop but a few weeks later my endocrinologist because of thyroid and other problems wanted to try a much lower dose and a natural hrt. I figured natural would be ok...WRONG!! within 5 days the same thing happened byt the pain was worse and continued for a much longer time. I developed bacterila vaginosis which felt like i had been hit with a baseball bat and then of course yeast whcihc was very irritating and could imagine the iflammation inside. The dr. said this was ll die to the HRT changing the ph and allowing things to grow....oh well. It's now almost 3 months and i still have pain. 3 weeks ago my new gyn gave me a shot of Lupron to try and burn out any endo that may have flared up on the bowel or intestines.I am still in pain. last night i spoke to him and told him that i think it maight be adhesions. He said to give the Lupron at least 3 months. If there is a little endo on the bowel it could cause a lot of pain. But, yesterday after a bowel movement I felt terrible tugging and kinking on the right side. The only thing that got it to calm down was soma. I don't know what to do anymore. The pain is nightmarish, getting my lwer back and belly area. It is causing swelling and problems after I eat during digestion and of course pain and crampin with bowels movements. If it is adhesions, he said that i might need another surgery. That would be suregery #6!!! And there is no guarantee that it would help. I don't know what to do. I'm hoping it is endo flared up by the HRT because this way I have a shot at relief. It has worked for me in the past. If not.....then next plan. Has anyone had any success with any of the barriers they use? MY girlfriend is a nurse in cardiac surgery and says they use the mesh barrier now around hearts to prevent the formation of adhesions.I would loveot hear back from anyone who has used them. Sorry this is so long but I am at the end of my rope anddon't know anyone with similar problems to talk to about this. thanks, mel

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: