Re: Surgery to correct adhesions in non-emergency cases

Tue Feb 4 07:51:50 2003

Hi there, sounds like we are in very similar situations - I did have to have emergency surgery in December, right before xmas, for a total obstruction. I had a scare the other night, sure felt like a partial obstruction, but I maintained very high fluid intake, no solids at all, and was better the next morning. You are right - this is an AWFUL way to live, never knowing what may set the next obstruction off. I too live on mostly carbo's - they seem to be the easiest thing to digest.

I know that surgery in Germany would be a possible option, but I did read on their web site that even with their expertise and using the spraygel, unfortunately bowel obstructions can still reoccur - I think Dr. Reich said in the 30-37% range.

Just wanted you to know, you are not alone.

--
Jill

At Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Siouxshi wrote: > >i have been in and out of the hospital with surgeries, NG tubes, and the >waiting game for bowel obstructions due to adhesion from 4 prior >abdominal surgeries. on christmas eve, that familiar pain hit me duirng >a large family gathering AT MY HOUSE. i was determined not to be in the >hospital for x-mas so i borrowed some darvocet from my neighbor recoving >from a c-section and waited it out at home. during these episodes that >occur at least once a month, i do not go to the hospital unless a fever >develops or a begin vomitting. while in the middle of the pain, i am >determined to get help for myself this time but when it has passed, i am >so grateful and feel so good that i don't ever call my doctor. > >do doctors go in to clean out adhesions (and possibly use the new >formation preventions) without being in the middle of an obstruction? do >i have to continue this cycle until another 100% blockage occurs instead >of the partials i have been having? 100% or a partial, the pain is the >same. i cannot eat regular meals, cannot digest meat or veggies very >well. i live on cereal and bread with the occassional potato and pasta. >the weight loss if OK with me but not enjoying the foods i love and >living in fear of when the next episode will hit me and not knowing >where i will be when it does it a crappy way to live, as i am sure you >understand. > >can this be an elective, laparoscopic surgery or must it be a required, >laparatomy always??? thanks for any help!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: