Re: Oxycontin

Thu Jan 30 13:12:11 2003

Hi Jenny,

I recently was put on oxycontin after trying several non-narcotic pain meds first. My thinking is that I want to lead as normal of a life without the use of narcotics if I can. Unfortunately, I was allergic to Neurontin, which gave me irregular heart beats, and Vioxx didn't even touch the pain. With much thought and counseling from my pain management doctor, I finally relented to going on the oxycontin. I found as much info that I could on the internet, asked a bazillion questions to my doctor about side effects, addiction, etc...and have been extremely concerned about it's safety for use. I talked it over with my fiance and we both came to one conclusion....if it works so that I can take care of my children and fix dinner, do laundry and be able to drive my son to school, and if it took away my pain....then I would stay on it. But I told my doctor, if I have any mood changes, start acting funny or can't get used to it relitively fast, then he'd need to put me on something else with less narcotic side effects. I have been on it now for about 1 week...I also take Bextra which is non-narcotic...and have break thru meds in case...but I have adjusted to it well, and IT WORKS!! I don't have complete delivery of my pain, but it's so much better than it was and so I'm going to stay on it. My family doesn't notice a huge change in my personality and I am strictly using it for the pain and I know that after I get my surgery in Germany I will be able to easily flush any unused meds down the blessed toilet. If you aren't using it for emotional reasons you probably won't have a hard time getting off of it, is the way that my doctor has explained it to me. And to have a life semi normal, well, that's just icing on the cake. That means everything to me. I have a son that's 5 and very active and two (soon to be) step kids that are 10 and 7 and it keeps me very busy being a full time mom and taking care of my pain management. But I'm glad that I was offered this med now because I have a sense of myself back that I was quickly losing to pain. Hope you find some inner peace with this. Honey, I know it's hard to be in pain day in and day out....the meds are here to help us and you shouldn't feel bad about taking them for the right reasons. We are all in the same boat. I know that if certain family members knew that I was on such an extreme meds, they'd freak out, but they are not the ones that have to live and suffer every day in escrutiating pain. Before I got on this med, I couldn't even breath deeply due to the sharp pain that would shoot up around my rib cage. I couldn't sit on the couch with my kids, I couldn't sit for any length of time without feeling like I was dying. Now, I go with my son to his little wrestling practices and I can go for short rides and do more stuff. I think it's one trade-off that is well worth it. Take charge of your own health as you already are doing by asking questions. I've just been in here a short time and already this site has changed my life with knowledge and I take that knowledge and apply it to my life...I apply it to my doctor's too....he just doesn't know it yet. But I am finally getting him trained...my gyno, that is. He's beginning to come to this site more and more about my references and he actually complimented my fiance and I on "doing our homework" and that makes his job easier to be able to talk to educated people on my problems. Don't be dispared....you are using it for the right reasons and you'll be ok. Talk to your doctor about your concerns, if you haven't already. He needs to know your fears. I hope this has helped. The only side effect that I really hate about this drug is that I tend to get a little long winded....anyone else seem to talk more while using narcotics for pain control?????? Am I the only one??? Ok, I'll shut up!!!

Love and hugs, Tonya

At Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Sally Grigg wrote: >
>At Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Jenny wrote:
>>
>>Hey everyone,
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone here knew very much about oxycontin. I have
>>been taking this through my pain management doctor since last summer. A
>>friend of my husbands said that it is derived from heroin. That really
>>bothered me. I did look it up myself and found out that it is an
>>opiate. It is nicknamed "Hillbilly Heroin" or "Rich Man's Heroin". I
>>heard the word "Heroin" and got pretty freaked out. I just want to get
>>off of all these medications. Has anyone here taken this for their
>>adhesions for pain management? Has anyone who took it before since had
>>surgery and been able to get off of it? Did you have any problems
>>getting off of this medication? I know I am asking alot of questions,
>>but like I said, it really bothered me knowing it is compared to heroin.
>>I have never been addicted to any type of drug, alcohol, or
>>smoking(anything). So the thought that my body could possibly get
>>addicted to a medication really bothers me. So if anyone could help me
>>with these questions, I would be so grateful. My gyn that is quitting
>>told me that he has never seen anyone go into pain management that was
>>able to get out of it. I am determined though. Never say never!
>>Anyway, thanks to all. I hope you have lots of pain free days.
>>
>>--
>>Jenny
>>
>--
>Dear Jenny, Hi, its Sally. I took oxycontin for a few years,
>plus break-through pain medication. After I had my adhesion
>surgery with Dr. Kruschinski I went off all my heavy meds with
>no problem at all. If you are taking pain control meds because
>of pain, then when the pain is gone, you probably will not want
>the meds at all. Since you have never had a problem with addiction,
>you probably will have no problem getting off oxycontin when your
>agony is gone. You should only be taking such strong drugs if you
>need them, and you are the only person that can answer that. I'm not
>saying that you should just stop one day, you need to do it gradually.
>You also should never cut the oxycontin pill as it is time release.
>I'm not a doctor, and you should get off the meds under a doctor's
>supervision. However if you are still in pain, there are a lot worse
>things that could be prescribed than opiates. For most people opiates
>do no harm when taken as prescribed for really bad pain. They are not
>to be used because you like the way they make you feel, or you are
>having a fight with your family, or you need them emotionally. They are
>for unbearable pain. If your pain is to the point where you stay in
>bed and can not function without agony, I for one, think its okay to
>take opiates. I have read the Physicians Desk Reference guide on some
>other medications that had been prescribed for me over the years and the
>side effects are horrible. So be careful. Just because a medication is
>not addictive does not mean it is okay to take. Good luck, love, Sally