Re: FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 25 04:31:32 2003

Hello Brenda,

I haven't been visiting this message board often for a while... a few long stays in hospital, Christmas etc.... so tonight is my first time back here reaching out to fellow adhesions sufferers.

I am so sorry that you have received such a devastating piece of news, it is very difficult to feel rational or calm when something you have waited for, for so long, depended on and expected so much from doesn't happen. I truly understand how you are feeling right now and want to do what I can to perhaps give you some options and some hope while you wait for another appointment.

I am so glad that you chose to share your frustrations with us here, because it gives us the opportunity to help you through it and perhaps give you some tips and helpful hints and ideas about things we are using OR have used to help us deal with certain situations or pain.

Firstly, I want you to stop reading after I finish describing this exercise to you, and then when you have repeated the exercise I want you to resume reading ok?? Promise that you won't peek?? Won't cheat to see what I am going to say next? ;-) lol ok here goes.....

When you receive upsetting news, or perhaps have a particularly bad pain that just jumps out at you from no where, usually it always seems to happen (well most times for me anyway! LOL) when we are in public view or with company.

This is my "quick fix" a way to steady my nerves, sooth my disappointment/anger/fear/pain or even anxiety. It's actually a very easy breathing exercise and if you do it correctly can help you reduce your pounding heart rate... rapid breathing, possible shakiness and even a sudden intense pain attack.

Firstly through your nose take a slow but deep breathe; to do this make sure you do a slow count to ten. Once you have taken in this breath, hold it for another slow count to ten (try five at first of ten seems too long and hard to manage) and then exhale out through your mouth.... yep you guessed it with another slow count to ten.

It is a good idea now to take a few normal breathes and then repeat the deep slow breath. If possible close your eyes while doing this exercise, it helps you focus just that bit extra. Repeat the breathes anywhere from five to ten times. You will find the right number of breathes to suit you.

Obviously you also need pain medication and a lot more support than that, but what I hoped to do here was to demonstrate to you that there are ways that you can learn to use to help cope with pain until you get your appointment.

Brenda I know it's frustrating, so many of us here on this message board have been in just the same place you find yourself in right now and we all really feel for you and will do our best to support you and "listen" to you anytime you need to "vent" about your frustrations.

The most important thing I have learned Brenda is to never give up and to NEVER loose hope. Do your best to wear a smile on your face everyday no matter how you feel.... and yes, I am the first to admit I have my days when smiling is as far away from my mind as you could possibly imagine... like you, like all of us on this board, I am only human *grin*.

Ok, the next thing you need to do is remember that you aren't the only one suffering because of your pain. You will have family, friends and perhaps even work mates around you that are suffering too.... yes believe it or not our pain has a ripple affect and really does touch everyone in our lives.

The next thing I would like to suggest to you is to visit The Australian Adhesions Support Group http://www.bombobeach.com and look up "How to Cope" under the COPING section on the yellow navigation bar at the top of the web site.

There you will find many more ideas and suggestions on how to cope with pain. These are all methods I personally use or other adhesions sufferers’ use and who have generously shared them with everyone on the web site.

Another good source of useful information is the adhesions quilt here on the IAS site as well as loads of contacts with adhesions sufferers through this board.

Most of all I think the one thing each of us can do for ourselves is to try and be as positive as possible and do what we can to try to keep our lives as "normal" as possible. This will help you stay distracted from pain, but will also help the rest of your family cope with your illness too.

Brenda, don’t forget your family physician because in reality this doctor is the one who should know you best, having treated you for perhaps a long time, treated you for minor complaints, such as viruses, colds, coughs etc and therefore you should have built up a good relationship with him/her. Talk to your family doctor about your main concerns and problems so that you might at least have support there.

I hope what I have said gives you some ideas and offer you some positive steps you can take to help you get through until your appointment with the pain management clinic. If you have any questions or would like to discuss it further, please feel free to email me ay Joanne@bombobeach.com

Love & warm gentle hugs,

Jo

--
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer