Re: Germany Fundraiser

Fri Jan 24 19:58:16 2003

Hi Sarah and Karen, I am from the UK and we are more in line with Europe so I don't know how things work with you but if it was me doing the same in the UK, I would get my General Practitioner or a Justice of the Peace or a person who is a civil servant like a policeman or my local Member of Parliament. This is what we do if we need a new passport or a drivers licence, or if we were claiming disability benefits etc. We get a photograph and usually have some kind of form to attach it too, then we take it to the person of our choice and they sign it that we are who we say we are. You could get a small piece of paper and stick a passport size picture on it and then write below who you are and what is wrong with you and the person you choose can write that this is correct and sign it. We have had a few people on TV lately on our morning talk shows who have set up websites to help them get lifesaving surgery in another country and it has been very successful.

I set up a foundation called The-heart-of-hope-foundation 4 years ago but I haven't gone on line with it yet, I don't have any money coming in from sponsorships or joining fees and the donations that we have received don't even cover the web hosting for UKAS never mind another website. I set it up more to help them to get on line and not feel so isolated rather than send them to other countries for surgery as we have some excellent adhesion surgeons here who are very compassionate and caring, our success rates have been good and we also have access to the latest barriers on the market. We also have our fare share of surgeons who are not very compassionate towards adhesion sufferers, but I am glad to say that their attitudes are slowly changing in the last couple of years but if we had to go to Germany we would get it funded on our NHS because we are members of the EEC.

Anyway I'm rabbiting on again, I do hope it all works out for you Sarah and I will send your post through the UKAS forum for you and put it on the message board.

In Friendship Kath Findlay The UK Adhesion Society http://www.adhesions.org.uk Kath.Findlay@adhesions.org.uk   Please feel free to roam the UKAS website, research all about Adhesions, causes, treatment and prevention. United we stand Knowledge is power ARD is our fight Surrender never

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Karen Steward Sent: 25 January 2003 01:38 To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: Germany Fundraiser

Sarah, Kath has good insight--and so do you. Just thought I would post that I also don't know HOW you could go about proving you legitimately need help. Anyone could pose as your mother, brother, banker, candle stick maker, etc.... I plan to donate to your mission because of the misery my daughter has been through. I for one will take you at your word and give what I feel I am suppose to give. I encourage others to do the same. There are others (like you said) saving to get help also. I think it is a shame that we have not started a fund for helping women. It will come. In the meantime, Kath or anyone else, how can someone prove their genuine need? I think it is very hard to come to terms with ASKING for help. However, had I needed help for my daughter, I would have begged on a street corner. I think each person needs to decide for themselves. I also understand that the board can't allow actual solicitation, however, I see nothing wrong with mentioning you have a web page to share if you are an ARD sufferer. karen

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: