Re: Methadone V MS Contin

Wed Jan 22 21:02:31 2003

Hi all, Would like to post about methadone V MS Contin. I have been on these strong pain killers since 1995. I was started on MS Contin, with self administered pethidine injections for breakthru. It did give me relief. Then I was changed to Kapanol 50mgs with morphine mixture for breakthru. About a month ago I was changed to methadone because the docs thought that I was getting no relief from this combination. How does the methadone rate? Well I am very happy so far with the results. I need very little for breakthru, I don't get constipated any more which is a real bonus as I would have to self medicate with an emena at least 3 times a week when I was on the morphine based drugs. I am on a small dose of this drug. My pain, is for the first time in a long time under control, and I am also using my bowels regularly. I would say that methadone used for chronic pain relief has been well worth the change. If anyone would like to get more info from me please contact me at monkopen@wn.com.au Also with regards to diet...I have suffered from adhesions and bowels obstructions for 38 years, so diet plays a big role in my day to day living. For many, many years I have not been able to eat anything high in fibre or roughage. I have had to steam all my vegies, eat very little red meat, cut out dairy products altogether & not eat anything raw, especially salads. As Shawna said what you eat has to eventually be disposed of! High fibre & roughage just sits in the bowel, constipating us. Our bowels just don't have the "energy" to work properly, especially with the drugs most of us take. I have lived this way for many, many years. I won't eat anything that I know will be rejected by my bowel, or give me pain...my bowel is not lazy, it just can't work overtime digesting high fibre & foods high in roughage! Best wishes to all. Annie

--
Annie H

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: