Re: Epidural Steroid Injection <> Has anyone had this procedure? Did it help?

Mon Jan 6 23:33:30 2003

Robin, Your post was interesting to me for 2 reasons. 1. A customer of mine says she has RSD and also goes to the same doctor I go to (pain doctor/anesthesiologist). She told me she wouldn't allow them do any procedures/ injections of any kind to her spine because they make RSD worse. So I guess you prove her theory wrong, or at least not in all RSD cases. 2. I now know you "can" get sedation and still have the procedures done with fluroscopic X-ray AND comfortably, instead of the suffering I have endured!

Since I do believe this is the best doctor/anesthesiologist around here I will still have to suffer through them though since he won't give sedation. He is very compassionate, understanding and pleasant. I feel like I can tell him anything and can also kid around with him. That's why it did surprise me that he insists on causing you pain by not giving sedation in order to treat your pain with the procedures (LOL)! Well, he doesn't really "want" to cause you pain, but it does.

He also did say the injections only take 6 minutes or so, depending on how many disks they do at one time, which isn't worth the risks involved with sedation. I did feel like saying to him "How do you think you would feel if someone cut off your thumb without sedation, since I'm sure it would only take a few minutes" (TeeHee). Pain is pain, whether a few minutes or not! I still would like sedation if given a choice!! I dread every time I go for procedures.

He is the only doctor who who wanted to help me with my pains and has given me the pain meds I need and is not afraid to give them. I had excrutiating pain all of a sudden one day last year which forced me to call them, which I never do, but I couldn't get it to ease up no matter what I did. They returned my call promptly offering immediate, additional help with it.

Unfortunately my body won't allow any increases in meds (not the doctor) and that is why I am never pain free even with the meds. The increase for just a week did get me over that terrible hump though.

I have never discussed my abdominal problems with him, was sent to him for my back, hip, leg problems which have disabled me and are enough to deal with right now.

I agree with the theory of sometimes "needing" to feel certain pains in cases of emergency. I don't even know if it is done or works for abdominal problems. I don't know anyone who has had it done for that reason, everyone has back problems that I know had it done. JEAN

At Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Robin Duffy wrote: >
>I have had mine done for RSD and spinal pain. They will not under any circumstances do it to deaden the abdominal pain, because it might not allow me to know when I have a total blockage.
>I am sedated for mine, was a wake once and thought I would die. But, I am on my stomache with wedge and done with fluroscope/x-ray. It does hurt alot when it wakes up but then in a few days, weeks it gets better. unfortunately mine only lasted about 6 months the first time and the second for a year. So if it is for spinal pain, RSD pain I believe in it but, for abdominal pain NO NO NO
> , if you are going to.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: