Re: CT Abdominal/Pelvis

Sat Jan 4 18:02:02 2003

Thanks for responding Grey Wolf, I ended up in the ER today at noon, and they kept me for several hours to inject me. Seems I had a systemic allergic reaction to the CT scan contrast. Had the test Friday around 3PM, and awoke at 2AM with severe body chills and my joints ached terribly. Turned the heat up in the house and took a percocet, and shivered back to sleep. Thought it was the cold front moving thu Florida.

Woke up with bad headache and my body felt on fire especially by face. Figured it was the heat drying the house until I looked in the mirror, and I was beet red, with a complete solid red glow from top to bottom. My chest felt tight, and I headed to ER. They took me right in and gave me shots of epinephrine, prednisone, and Benadryl, and repeated them again an hour later. They also gave me pain meds for the overall ache.

I have had CAT scans many times and NEVER did I ever react. It is very rare a person has such an acute reaction 11 hours later so the Docs told me today.

Radiologists should send ppl home with papers of what to do in the event you react to the contrast. As rare as it is, the Doctor said the reactions I had need to be treated ASAP.

So the Doctor grounded me from my trip to Vegas which was tomorrow until I finish the next 6 days of prednisone.

The meds *REALLY* helped me, my total body rash is starting to fade, my Blood pressure returned to normal after they pulled me out of what they called an Sever "Anaphalatoid" reaction [whatever that means].

I am guite groggy from the numerous Benedryl shots, but I wanted to check in with my friends.

Anyone else ever react to CT contrast? I drank bottled barium dilution and also got some clear stuff IV.

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>
>I like to think of my scars as railroad tracks----all over the place. Hope
>you are doing well as of this posting. I will be having my first appointment
>with Dr Gerhart here in Pa on Tuesday. He thinks he can help me. I too
>think I might have an enlarged liver due to adhesions from having my
>gallbladder remove by open surgery many many years ago.
>
>Well happy New Years too all I will keep you all posted on my road to
>recovery Hopefully
>
>Love & hugs & prayer to all
>
>Grey Wolf

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: