Re: Just started duragesic and find I can't drive! Coping Skills?

Mon Dec 30 18:35:14 2002

Dawn, I'm sure that by now everyone has given you the third degree about driving while on pain medicine regardless of what type it is. I'm like you however, I have no problems with driving regardless of the medication. I did go through a period where I would fall asleep at the drop of the hat....even while driving. I could never associate it with any particular thing, but I wasn't about to risk someone else's life by continuing to drive. If I found myself getting even the slightest bit groggy I either had someone else drive or I pulled over and called someone to come get me. I haven't had the problem since June, but I am so careful to observe my own behaviors so that I do not put myself into a dangerous position. I never did have that problem with the duragesic, but I would tell you that if you are getting wonderful relief from it then avoid driving. Your body will most likely adjust to this medication over time. Mine did. I needed increasingly more and more. I think when I was finally removed from the duragesic I was on 150 patches. I was removed because the drug severely decreased my respirations. Often I wonder if it played a part in my respiratory and cardiac arrest that I suffered prior to surgery. Please play close attention to what your body is telling you. You are on a little bit less of the neurontin that I was on. I noticed a big difference while taking this drug. But, it wasn't until the doctor placed me on the high dosages. Most physicians only seem to prescribe very minute amounts and people notice no benefit from taking it. Once the dosage is increased to the higher amounts it seems that everyone notices a big difference. I wish that I could still take the drug, but when I went in to renal failure I was told that I could no longer be given the neurontin as it had side effects that I had to watch out for. Since then I have seen other doctors who question this, but I am not about to chance it. God Bless and Happy New Year to you all!

Karla

**Soaring with my angel**

http://www.geocities.com/karlasfamily2001 http://www.geocities.com/princessd82000/BraydensHaven

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: