Are we the unlucky few who develop adhesions everytime we have surgery?

Fri Dec 27 19:57:59 2002

Are we the unlucky few who develop adhesions everytime we have surgery? http://www.adhesions.org/forums/ADHESIONS.0102/0038.html

At one of Dr. Wiseman's monthly chats in 1998, I vaguely remember him saying that approximately 90% of surgical patients do NOT experience chronic pain as a result of the adhesions that are inevitably caused by surgery; and it is a known fact that adhesions are the way the body heals and protects itself.

Then there are about 10% - including all of us who share our experiences on the International Adhesions Society Message Board - who develop problematic adhesions following surgical procedures. Our bodies seem to be *set up* to develop adhesions; and for us each surgery tends to increase the formation of "de novo" (new) adhesions and the reformation of adhesions - as well as increases the amount of pain we to live with. This is a very serious problem for all of us who fall into this 10% category.

Even so, there are many doctors out there who do NOT believe that adhesions can cause chronic pain. These are the doctors who tell us there is nothing wrong with us because all of our diagnostic tests have always been negative or normal - insinuating that our chronic pain problem is psychological - that it's "all in our heads."

There are surgeons though, who do acknowledge that adhesions can cause pain - and that the chronic pain - caused by adhesion related disorder (ARD) is not an easy aflliction to deal with. These are the surgeons...

.....who refuse to perform a surgical procedure - when they know their patients have had prior surgeries. Surgeons DO know that one of the risks of surgery is the formation of adhesions; and yet there are many surgeons, who do NOT disclose this risk to their patients.

.....who tell victims of ARD that " they will have to learn to live with the pain caused by adhesions". These surgeons are aware that successive adhesiolysis procedures will cause even more adhesions to form and result in increased pain for their ARD patients!! Each additional surgery will increase both the difficulty and length of time needed by the surgeon to perform another surgery!!. The risk factors for surgeries - that involve adhesions - is just too great!!

.....who tell us that there is nothing they can do for us - unless we have a severe bowel obstruction - which, of course, is an emergency situation!!! What patient wants to be in that position - to have to accept "just any" surgeon to perform their emergency surgery? Not me, that's for sure!!

I recall the many times - from 1970 to 1997 - that I had wished I could find a doctor, who would suggest an adhesiolysis procedure as the only way to end my constant pain; but when all of my tests were negative for abnormal pathology, doctors were adament in their refusal to offer surgery - and I was treated as if I were mentally ill. I remember being told many times that I should get an evaluation at a mental health clinic; and instead of pain medication - I was given prescriptions for tranquilizers, muscle relaxants and other unhelpful medications.

You may find this hard to believe or understand; but now that I know more about ARD, I really feel lucky that doctors refused to suggest surgery as an answer!!!!! I sincerely believe that all of the doctors and surgeons - whom I had seen between 1970-1997 - actually "saved me" from the possibility of developing what is known as a "frozen pelvis" - and the excruciating pain, which must go along with that condition when internal organs are encased in adhesions.

In addition to the 1970 laparotomy I've had only two surgeries!! In 1972 I literally had to beg a gynecologist for a hysterectomy!!!! We had four children from age 6 to 16; and my biggest fear was that I might become pregnant! Deep in my heart I knew I would not be able to take on any more responsibilities. I barely could take care of myself - let alone be a mother to our four children and a wife to my husband. Very reluctantly the gynecologist honored my request - and I was given a vaginal hysterectomy. This surgery did NOT help to reduce my level of chronic pain; but having this surgery did give me peace of mind - just to know I wouldn't be faced with any additional responsibilities.

After having searched for a diagnosis for more than 27 years, a diagnostic laparoscopy in 1997 finally proved that the cause - of the chronic pain I had endured - was massive adhesions (from my laparotomy in 1970) that had attached my omentum to my abdominal wall. I was not mentally ill; and my experience was NOT the result of mental illness!! It was NOT all in my head " - as so many doctors had tried to make me believe!!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: