Re: Adhesions Breaking Point

Sat Nov 30 12:26:52 2002

Hello Everyone,

The VA does not always move fast and before I can be evaluated at Shands up in Gainsville, the team wanted to make sure my malabsorption/pain was not something else. So in Sept they did an abdominal ultrasound, which I would not think would be a test that would yield much diagnostic value when hunting for adhesions. The tech told me they just look at the organs.

I have an appt Dec 6th, but I could not wait 3 months to hear the results so I obtained a copy of the test results last week. The test showed "splenomegaly" and "dense liver". No doubt the dense liver is adhesions from 1994 gallbladder removal, but have no idea whats up with the spleen. It had numerous calculi in it.

The blood tests ordered were magnesiun blood plasman, and TSH [thyroid], I expect these to be fine. My problem is adhesions and I cannot blame them for wanting to look for different things.

I have found grazing on food is alot more friendly, and I have lost 17 pounds since May.

I am hoping Dec 6th, begins a serious work up towards surgery at Shands, I was quite active over the summer but paid a price with exacerbation of symptoms. Right now I can manage things by taking meds, watching intake and not being active over the winter.

Just wanted to give some follow up from my Sept post. Seems my strong history of adhesions was not strong enough to warrant consultation to Gen Surg. But with the latest findings on ultrasound, I may get that consultation yet!

I would think a CT or MRI or some other test would be better than an ultrasound. But with some findings, it might have been the niftiest thing the Doc could have ordered that SPARED me barium, dye drinking and all those other nasty preps.

At Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Ms Lee wrote: >
>What a great resource for those of us dealing with adhesive disease. My
>story has been told by so many in this forum with the only difference
>being my name was not signed to the post [yours were].
>
>I have had 12 operations [abdominal] over 20 years, and currently 45
>y.o.that no Doc will touch until I fully obstruct. Currently, I am with
>partial bowel obstruction referred to as "frozen bowel" and maintained
>on percocet. Food is NOT my friend [sigh]..

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: