Phone call from Australia to BW, Anthea, Nancy and Carol......

Sat Nov 23 08:07:16 2002

Hello to all my IAS family, friends and visitors,

It gives me great pleasure to give you an update on the progress after surgery this week of Browkenwing and Jill

A recently published article about BW and her serious decline in health due to adhesions drew some interesting contacts - one was from Jill, who not only contacted Anthea, she contacted the Ohio University Surgeon who was quoted by the reporter in the article.

Jill went to meet this doctor and was immediately booked in for surgery, after a long search to find a doctor who could help her and who believed that she was in genuine pain and needed help urgently.

When Jill contacted Anthea about this wonderful doctor, Anthea immediately contacted BW so that she could make an appointment to talk to this doctor too.

For those of you unaware, BW has been ill for quite some time and was loosing weight at an alarming rate, yet still the doctors ignored her, everyone unwilling to "touch her" because of the perceived difficulty of the surgery she desperately needed.

Ensure a powdered protein drink used to make a shake for seriously ill hospital patients was the only food giving BW any of the complex vitamins and minerals our bodies need each day to function, but still she was loosing weight. BW couldn't even tolerate a slice of bread.

As you have read from Nancy's messages, BW is doing well and today she was allowed a liquid diet and feels more comfortable as the pain has subsided for her a little. It didn't take long for the doctor to discover the reason for BW's difficulty with eating, her colon twisted, kinked and attached to something in eight different places, including the vaginal vault.

Jill's surgery was a little longer than BW's but she is also doing well and even managed to walk up to BW's room today for a short visit.

This afternoon I had the wonderful pleasure of calling BW in the hospital as she was enjoying a visit from Anthea and her trusty "Jet Setting Canadian Wild Woman" friend Nancy Hale, who boarded three separate flights to get from her home in Canada to Ohio where she is spending a well deserved break with Anthea and visiting BW & Jill during their hospital recovery.

It was so exciting to talk to so many of my special ARD family all together at the same time. I managed to have a great conversation with everyone and Nancy being the clever person that she is even managed to convince BW to have her photo taken while she looked like S##t .... Nancy is making sure that none of us miss out on these wonderful people getting together to love and support one another.

You are all an inspiration to me and I know how much courage it took for you to decide on that surgery Kim, and I know how hard it was for James and your two precious boys waiting to hear how you went in surgery.... then to have Anthea there to put the nursing staff in their place and make sure they looked after our media famous superstar BW!!!

Everyone sounded so positive and excited, about the outcome of Kim's surgery and now she will have some breathing space until SprayGel is available, Nancy after her first (terrifying plane trip) and Anthea who is the “Ohio State Nursing Home for ARD patients” and is having a fantastic time, she told me.

Please send all of these ladies your thoughts, positive vibes and love.... because they have really made a special effort to help each other and they make a perfect example of the good will and generosity and spontaneity that springs from adversity, disability and chronic pain.

The hardest part of the phone call came when it was time to say goodbye to everyone.... I so wanted to crawl through the phone and into BW's hospital room.

To James, sweet man thank you for looking after our special friend and your wonderful wife, sometimes I think the hubbies have the raw end of this whole deal, we sleep through all the drama and you suffer with time spent in hospital waiting rooms and sitting next to empty spaces where our hospital bed should be, but isn't because it is down in recovery waiting for the patient to be transferred back to their bed from the operating table. I hope your cold gets better soon James....

To Bill.... thank you for all your love and support for Anthea and for putting up with loosing so much time with her to the computer and her enlarged family circle which now includes the wild woman from Canada, BW and Jill just to name a few oh, and me ;)!! hehehe

To Chester and Shawn, thank you for being brave and looking after each other while Nancy makes this special trip to help BW, Jill and visit Anthea... I hope you got to ride the skidoo Shawn ;)

Lastly to Carol Lynne, thank you, thank you for taking an interest in our cause, I look forward to sharing more time with you soon.

So to all of my special ARD family.... thank you Lord for watching over them, keep them safe and let them all return to their families soon.

Love & warm gentle hugs, Jo

--
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer
reaching out to help others.