An update on whats happening- I have Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis!

Sat Nov 23 06:55:50 2002

Hello to all at IAS!

It has been quite some time since I posted here on the IAS board. Thankyou to all who responded to my call for assistance in my last post but have found it impossible to keep up & try posting due to the nature of my complicated life! I appreciated all your messages of support & assistance.

Since posting I have undergone numerous tests to determine the cause of my enlarged common bile duct.I had ultra sound, CT scan, MRI, & many, many expensive blood tests.

The end result is that I have a diease called Primary sclerosing cholangitis, which basically is the area both inside & outside the bile ducts become enlarged due to infection & scar tissue forms - its is usually related to inflammatory bowel diease, crohon's diease, or ulcerative colitis & rarely but possible osteoporis ( which I have also!)It also is related to the auto immune system. The progression of this diease effects the liver to the stage where liver failure is a significant possibility.There is no treatment for PSC, except a medication that may slow the the process. For more info go to http://www.liver.org & it will give you all the necessary info.

Not only have I suffered from adhesions from the age of 14 years - Iam now 52- I now have to come to terms with this horrible diease. I am under a good doctor here in Western Australia, a Professor who heads the liver transplnt team here in WA!

How do I feel? Simply put - numb & devasted.

So, my dear friends out there, please be patient. I am unable to answer everyones emails personally as I spend a lot of time travelling to doctors, some 2 hours drive away & we all know so well how travelling affects adhesions even when just sitting in the car just getting from "point A to point B!

I also, like so many adhesion sufferers am unable to lead a normal life & have to spend many hours each day trying to get relief from the pain I suffer so badly.

The next step in this pathway is a liver biospy, which will be done in the next couple of weeks.It will determine the extent of the liver damage I alredy have! They will then decide whether I am a candiate for the medication given that slows the process of the diease. They are unsure whether this medication does any good or not! What a great Christmas present, eh!

I will endeavour to keep you up dated on my progress or I may ask my dear sweet friend Jo Eslick to let you know.

Thankyou all for your past support. I do ask for your prayers over the next few weeks.

Should you wish to contact me privately, my email address is... monkopen@wn.com.au

Love & blessings to all & I hope everyone is able to cope with their pain & suffering.

Annie

--
Annie H

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: