Re: New to the list

Fri Oct 25 12:53:00 2002

I found this list recently and decided to join to ask a few questions. I am interested in finding out info about adhesions related to infertility. I have been trying to conceive for over 3 years. In 1985, at 17 years old, I had Gall Bladder surgery. The Dr. said that it was diseased. A few years ago I started having some abdominal pain on my right side. After being tortured with different uncomfortable procedures, I found out that the pain was caused by adhesions. My OBGYN did a laparoscopy a year and a half ago. I was excited because the pain went away for about 8 months!!!!! He reported that I had sigmoid mesocolonic adhesions of the left pelvic brim and dense ileocecal adhesions to the right sidewall. He said that part of my bowel was attached to the muscles in my abdomen. This was the same spot that I reported having pain. Unfortunately, the pain is back. I believe that the adhesions grew back and may even be worse then before. I have ruled out other possibilities with a CT scan and an IVP. My OBGYN has mentioned doing another laparoscopy. I don't want to!!!!! I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4 years ago, although I know I've had it all my life. Adhesions are very common after surgery, especially abdominal. Fibromyalgics tend to be more vulnerable to adhesions. Our bodies heal slower allowing more time for adhesions to form. I have also read that adhesions can be caused by other things like inflammation. When organs become adhered they cause pain and poor function. I have a tilted uterus that shifts from time to time. This would make since if I have adhesions pulling on things.

Over the past 6 months, I have learned everything I can about adhesions. I found a PT clinic in Florida that specializes in treating pelvic and abdominal adhesions. The patients that were diagnosed as infertile reported that they were pregnant after completing therapy. Some of the same women had blocked tubes and several failed attempts at IVF. The same women got pregnant on their own without reproductive procedures and medications!!!!!! I am trying to get my insurance to approve me to go to them. They are out of network for me. They denied my first request and I appealed. They should have an answer by the end of October.

I read something about using barriers during surgery to keep adhesions from forming. I guess they could call it "GUT-NO-STICK"!!!!!! I also read about a new laparoscopic mapping done while the patient is awake to find the source of their pain. This sounds like torture to me. There has to be an easier way to red patients of this pain!!!!!! I am looking for more natural ways to heal myself. I think I'm on to something with massage and PT. There are a few techniques they use. I have been reading about visceral manipulation and urogenital manipulation. Some of this requires rubber glove work. The folks at the clinic in Florida do something very similar. If it doesn't work out for me to go to them, I'm hoping I can find something similar in the central Kentucky area. The cost for the place in Florida is $3500. That's $175 per hour for 20 hours of therapy. They have developed a technique to reverse infertility by doing PT and massage. They are the only place I know of that does this, but I'm thinking if someone else does similar work, maybe the outcome would be the same?

I'm 35 years old, TICK TOCK. I have been to a reproductive endocrinologist. I took Clomid for 10 cycles, although I don't believe ovulation is my problem. I believe that it is a mechanical problem indirectly related to fibromyalgia. I have had 5 intrauterine inseminations. My RE wants me to go to the next level, superstimualtion. The cost is $1500 per cycle. Ultimately, I could go ahead with IVF. The cost then increases to $8000 per cycle!!!!! I can't see spending that kind of money if something like adhesions are keeping me from getting pregnant. I am on the guaifenesin protocol for FMS. I know that guaifenesin can help reproductively because it thins cervical mucus. I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone!!!!! I 'm also considering going on a gluten free diet. Fibromyagics can have a carbohydrate intolerance. I also read that gluten intolerance can cause infertility.

Any help about how to red myself of this pelvic and abdominal pain would be great. If anyone has further information about adhesions related to infertility that would be even greater.

Thanks, Mindy, Ky., FMS, adhesions, infertility

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: