Another Pain Medicine Question

Thu Oct 3 13:40:46 2002

I've been taking Lortabs for quite a while now for my pain due to adehsions. For the most part, they help me. My doctor recently told me I should be taking Coalesce (Spelling????) as a stool softener, as he said all narcotics usually cause constipation.

I had to go to the ER yesterday because the pain was so severe. They took an x-ray, and said I didn't have a bowel obstruction, but said I was totally constipated. I tried explaining I just started taking the stool softener, but wasn't used to taking it, so had skipped some doses. The doctor told me I had to get off the narcotics, no matter what. I tried explaining that Lortab was the only thing that helped my pain at all, but he didn't want to hear it. He told me adhesions cause bowel obstrucitons (duh, I'd already told him that was my concern), and they don't cause pain. Needless to say, I was ready to kill him - I was not a nice person to him or the nurse, and I do feel bad today.

Any suggestions at all from anyone? I do not want to give up the Lortabs since I can't find anything else to help me w/ pain. My mother talked to the doctor after I stormed out crying, now she's agreeing w/ him, and thinks I should stop taking it. I told her even when I'm not totally constipated, I'm still in pain, that just being constipated isn't causing the pain. She doesn't understand, and really doesn't know how to help me. I feel bad, because I'm taking it out on her. I have asked her a couple of times to get on this web site & read some stories, but she hasn't. I think that might give her a better understanding of what I'm going through.

I'm at my limit now, where I'm desperate for surgery, even if it's only a temporary relief. I know I'm at my limit, when I'm laying in bed at night, can't sleep, and look at my bottle of Lortabs & consider taking all of them just becuase I'm so damn frustrated. But, I don't know if I will find a doctor who will do surgery, as many have told me they won't touch me until I have a bowel obstruction. I don't want to wait that out, but I don't know what to do. I'm saving for Germany, but that will be a while.

Sorry for rambling, please, if anyone has any suggestions, tell me. I just want some pain relief while I'm waiting for surgery.

Thanks for letting me vent here. This place has been wonderful, and I'm so happy I found it.

Everyone, take care!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: