Re: Stress & Pain

Sat Sep 14 22:56:39 2002

Hi Linda,

I understand how you feel about doctors and the "examinations" sometimes. I too have had that feeling of "rape" after a consultation with a doctor. I never went back to him again and he is regarded as one of the best here in Australia. I think bedside manner is a VERY important issue when dealing with the very emotional "makeup" of our disease.

Linda, this is EXACTLY the right place for you to come when you are feeling like you need to vent. Writing is a good therapy and an excellent way to rid yourself of pent up emotions about the day to day challenges.

I am sorry that you have had such a distressful time, and yes STRESS does cause us to feel our pain in a more "heightened" state. You need to learn a few simple relaxation techniques, which you can use no matter where you are and what the circumstances are. If you go to my web site http://www.bombobeach.com you will find a section called "How to Cope", there you will find a couple of BREATHING Exercises which will help you to relax your body ... helping you to bring your pain levels down to a more manageable level.

When you can feel your pain "niggling" or enough for you to acknowledge it's there in your mind - that's when you should take something for pain. The longer you leave it, and the more intense the pain becomes, the less effective and more the pain medication needs to be to bring it back under control. That's why it is always best to do something about it when you first feel discomfort.

You mention "Stress" a lot in your message, and I think it is time for you to sit down and write a list of the things that cause you to feel pressured and stressed. Once you know what causes this feeling, then you can find ways to reduce the effect that activity causes to your pain and your feelings of stress. Do you have endometriosis? Or is it just postoperative adhesions? IF you have endo, then stress will cause a "flair up" as you put it, of pain. Stress feeds endo pain so you need to find ways to keep stress under control.

Finding a pain councilor (one who sufferers with pain too is better too, they have a personal understanding of what you are experiencing) will make a huge difference. A local chronic pain support group could be helpful for you too. Have a chat with your doctor and see if he/she can recommend someone to you.

We have a regular chat session on Wednesday nights on bombobeach from 8pm to 10pm NY Eastern Standard time (check the world clock - link available on the chat page) will help you work out the right time for your state. There are generally ten to twelve fellow adhesions sufferers in the chat room. There is also an archive of previous chats available at the bottom of the chat page. Many of us also keep in regular contact via a messenger program called msn. If you are interested, write to me joanne@bombobeach.com and I will send you the information on how to join msn. It really does help to know that you can come online, day or night & link up with fellow adhesions buddies around the world!!

Don't loose hope Linda, the IAS & bombobeach are here to help support sufferers, family and friends. How much support you get depends on you.... we would love to help you, just leave your message here, on bombo, join us in the chat room and join msn.. Remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Love, warm gentle hugs,

--
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer
reaching out to help others.