Living Well with a Hidden Disability; Transcending Doubt and Shame and Reclaiming Your Life

Thu Aug 29 15:45:25 2002

As a person, who suffers from the "hidden disability" of adhesions related disorder (ARD), I highly recommend that you read this article:

~ ~ ~ ~

X> Living Well with a Hidden Disability: Transcending Doubt and Shame and Reclaiming Your Life ... by Stacy Taylor, M.S.W., L.C.S.W. with Robert Epstein, Ph.D.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1700.50509

Stacy Taylor is a licensed psychotherapist and the author of "Living Well with a Hidden Disability." She has lived with a hidden disability for seven years. Join her for a discussion on how to transcend doubt and shame and reclaim your life when living with a hidden disability.

1. What is a hidden disability? 2. How do you get family and friends to accept hidden disabilities?

3. What does anybody say when someone asks "How are you?"

4. How does one let people around know how real the pain and fatigue is since it is invisible?

5. What should I do when I don't even want to leave the house or see another human who is pain-free?

6. I feel guilty being home all day and then having to get my family to help me do chores when they get home. Any suggestions?

7. Does the ADA acknowledge fibromyalgia?

8. What resources and support are available for people with hidden disabilities?

9. Where is your book available?

10. How do you suggest making friends, especially if you are withholding information about yourself and your limitations?

11. WHY is it so easy for an adult to accept another's disability, but not our own pain? Seems we need to start there -- be more sure of ourselves.

12. I would still like to know how to cope day to day without drugs. I cannot take the drugs -- too sensitive.

ALL of the following "hidden disabilities" are mentioned in her book: Living Well with a Hidden Disability:

Chemical sensitivity -- Arthritis -- Migraines -- Colitis -- Asthma -- Chronic fatigue syndrome -- Lupus -- Chronic pain -- Diabetes -- Multiple Sclerosis -- Cancer -- Repetitive stress injuries -- ADD -- Depression -- Fibromyalgia

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: