Re: Owwww.....

Mon Aug 26 08:30:23 2002

Hi Laura,

As a veteran of Morphine injections I feel VERY qualified to answer this question!

Here in Australia different hospitals have different "protocols" for pain management and how that pain management is dispensed!

Just 4 weeks ago I was in our local base hospital and I was having 15mg sub-cut morphine injections every three hours.... yes I was in THAT much pain.

Their policy IS to inject the morphine into the thigh or arm muscle and yes it hurts a LOT!!! I usually have a "butterfly" inserted, which allows me to have multiple injections at the one site. This works like an IV & has a little cap they remove to inject the morphine. If the area is rubbed softly in an outward motion from the injection point it can sooth the "sting" or "bite" you experience with the injection.

These butterflies only last for approx 3 days & then they will insert a new one. Mine kept getting raised, in a red nasty lump, meaning I had to undergo this uncomfortable process more times than usual!!

Once I was transferred to Sydney & admitted to the Royal Hospital for Women, I was able to breath easy. Believe it or not, morphine injected into the abdomen doesn't hurt! There is usually a layer of fat, which helps to soften the "shock" of the injection. I NEVER experience ANY pain associated with injections in my tummy, unless it is getting close to time to change the butterfly to a new spot.

Morphine injected directly into your IV gives you a much quicker affect from the morphine, but it is short lived and normally used in acute situations, while the butterfly is used for longer term pain management, over the course of several days, or as in my last visit to hospital, three weeks of injections!

I hope this helps you. IF you feel itchy or feel like ants are crawling over your skin, it means that you may have been given a little more morphine than necessary to alleviate your pain. I haven't experienced this myself, as I now have a very high tolerance for the drug.... BUT my father is also a chronic pain sufferer and experiences that sensation with oxycontin, a tablet form of "morphine like opiate pain medication".

Love & warm gentle hugs, Jo

--
Love and gentle hugs,
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer