Tami -- the appendix 'hole' -- I wonder if it's adhesions?

Mon Aug 19 14:18:00 2002

This was from a test where they were looking from the inside, right? And you've had your appendix removed, right? I wonder if what has happened is that you have formed a sort of new appendix from adhesions?

Have you ever wondered what good are adhesions from an evolutionary point of view? Well the answer is not that hard... Before the last 100-150 years or so, if you got appendicitis there were no surgeons to take it out. So your appendix would rupture. Well, most people would die when this happened, except for people who formed extensive adhesions. The adhesions would wall off the ruptured appendix and if the person recovered from the peritonitis then they would go on and live a normal life span.

So suppose there is a hole were they removed the appendix, and outside the intestines there is a bag or pouch of adhesions that keeps the stuff that comes through the hole separated from your abdominal cavity. (Imagine if a plumbing pipe in your house sprung a leak and you fixed it until the plumber got there by taping a plastic bag over it....) That would certainly explain why you are still alive and walking around! It would also make you wonder about the cluefulness of the doc... If you've got adhesions on your right side walling up your leaky plumbing, and the doctor insists that you only have adhesions on the left, I'd kind of worry about whether the doc really knows what he's doing...

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: