Re: Short Bowel

Mon Aug 12 08:04:54 2002

Dear Robin, What a beautiful voice!!! Thanks I had a great day with my guys, Your friend, Jan

>----- Original Message -----
From: rmasse2333@aol.com Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 6:17 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: Short Bowel

Dear Jan, Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to Jan! Happy Birthday to you!! I hope it was a good one. robin M

At Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Janice Simpson wrote: >
>Dear Traci
>Oh my God have you been to hell and Back. I haven't gone through anythi g like you. As far as my diet goes like you it is mild stuff. And due o the adhesions it has to be a mushy consistency. So my biggest want in life is to have a giant salad with croutons and just sit there and crunc away. But if I ever ate that just call the ambulance. I can't believe the troubles you have had. Today is my birthday and mmy guys are taking me out to eat (mushy stuff) so I'll talk to you later.
>Your friend,
>Jan
>

>>>----- Original Message -----
>From: tracigenz@yahoo.com
>Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2002 11:36 AM
>To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
>Subject: Re: Short Bowel
>
>At Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Janice Simpson wrote:
>>
>Hi Jan,
>I'm glad to hear from you! Your short bowel sound like mine! I had a
>partial hysteromcy in '93 (lapscopy surgery) then I developed a bowel
>obstructin. It was only a nick at that time. I have noticed some foods
>were hard to digest but I felt fine again. Then in Jan of 99 I had an
>emerency surgery to remove a ruptured tumor on my ovary. They saw alot
>of adhesions when they were doing surgery and hoped it would dissolved
>by the NG tube (familiar w/that?)It didn't and had 5 resections of my
>small intestine and surgery was 9 hours long. I was hospitalized for 6
>weeks and still couldn't digest food like they were getting stuck in my
>stomach. I went home w/the suction machine for a month (I had a NG
>inserted in my stomach). When the baker tube (supposely to keep the
>adhesions away) and NG tube, I was able to eat food again. But during
>that time and up to the summer of '00, I still wasn't feeling good, had
>pain, vomited at times and felt weak. The surgeontold me there isn't
>anything wrong and to eat clear liquid. I was hospitalized alot in the
>year of 99. In the summer of '00, I have had enough of pain, vomiting
>and weakness, I went back to my internal medicine doctor and I had the
>upper GI test (drink barium) and it was partially obstructed so I saw a
>different surgeon. SHe is SO WONDERFUl and I wish I had her w/my
>previous surgery. She did the surgery and it was a nightmare, 11 hours
>long and she told my family I wasn't expected to survive. If I did, I
>would have long term complications. Well, after a week in ICU, I was
>moved to a differnt nursing ward for another 5-6 weeks. I had tube
>feeding, TPN, etc...I went home w/those as well. I had to follow a
>special diet (no sugar, no dairy products and very low fat). AFter 5
>months, I was able to be disconnected from the tube feeding and TPN. I
>thought my problems were gone even though I hate my loose bowels and the
>diet. It took a year before I actually felt good. I have now been
>diagnoised with CELIA disease (gluten sensivity) and I will have to
>follow a gluten free diet. It is bad enough of the foods I can eat now
>and this?
>I know the feeling of you having to cancel some events because of the
>diarreha. Sometimes I feel like it controlling my life. I used to be
>so active and socially. I used to run but I have trouble w/my bowels so
>I'm just walking 2 miles a day. Eating out is no fun either. I used to
>live on cheesburgers, fries, pizza, beer and you name it! Now, I eat
>chicken breast w/o the heavy sauces and no french fries...I'm have
>gotten used to it but now I have to follow a gluten free diet as
>well....Good grief...Have i suffered enough???
>Did you go to the Nutrition Center in MA to help w/your SBS diet? When I
>came out of surgery, my dietician & surgeon obtain a copy of their diet
>and that is what I'm eating now. Are you on antibotics for the common
>side effect of overgrown bacteria in the colon? Well, I think I have
>typed enough...Hope to hear from you again.
>
>Hi Tracy,
>> I didn't get your e-mail sorry but here goes. I have had short bowel nce 96. I have tried all the meds the Dr's put me on and I can't reall remember the names of them but none of them work. The only thing that s helped me at all has been paregoric (an opium product). I take this ly when I knew I would not have access to a bathroom. If I know I am g ng on a trip (1 hour or more) a few days before I just have liquids. D to the adhesion I can't eat anything with any substance so I normally t mushy type foods anyway. This way my bowel is pretty empty and I tak the paregoric the night before. This slows down the intestine a bit (n much) but enough to have a little control of when you have to go to th bathroom> I know where every bathroom is in every store and at many ti s have needed to use them. So in a nutshell I have to plan everything do. It's funny I was talking to Nancy and Millie last night and told t m that I was ecstatic with my new meds!
! >and not just because of the pain ontrol. One side effect of Percocet a d Trazadone is constipation. Wel guess what! For the first time in 6 ears I am having normal BM's, I m not constipated but now have more co trol of the need to go. I am like a kid at Christmas. I live near Bosto and the 18 of August we are goin to Nova Scotia to celebrate our 30th nniversary with a couple of frien s that understand my adhesions and the short bowel syndrome. I was real y scared to go on the trip because of he adhesions and short bowel but ow I feel at least the short bowel wil not cause me as much trouble as efore. I had bought a box of depends o wear and I was mortified and cr ed and cried because I could not belie e that I was going to wear them b t with not knowing where the bathrooms would be on the trip I didn't wan to take the chance(you know how panic y we get when we get the urge and we have to go NOW!!! This has been su h a blessing and I plan to enjoy he si!
d! >e effects for as long
>>as I need the meds. What my Dr. said was wh n I have the emergency sur ery in 96 when the ob-gyn screwed up a d&c an then did a lap she cut up my intestes and I had 18 inches removed (that s not much) but the part t ey had to remove takes the water out of your tool. He said each part o your intestines has a job and the part of my intestine they removed jus left too much of the water in my stool and t ere you go diarrhea 24/7. It has been so frustrating and demeaning. I h ve had to cancel many thin s in the past 6 years and now I feel like I c n try stuff as long as the adhesions behave. E-mail me back and tell me about your problems with s ort bowel and maybe we can work something out to help you. There are al t of trick I use. Like fasting and then the orning of going somewhere would get up about 4 hours before and have a small bowl of cereal and s rt of push out anything else that was there a d be empty for the trip. y a trip I mean only about an hour but!
! >due t the traffic around here I was terrified to get caught in a traffi jam no where to go). I don't know why but this helped somewhat. I am so so ry you have this condition because it is so frustrating and it rea ly re tricts what you can do. Mail me back and we'll talk
>>Your friend,
>>Jan
>>

>>>>>----- Original Message -----
>>From: tracigenz@yahoo.com
>>Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 7:25 AM
>>To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
>>Subject: Short Bowel
>>
>>Hi ye all. I have had short bowel since 8/00 and would like to talk to
>>someone that also has it. Janice Simpson, I hope you would respond to
>>this. Helen Dyna told me about you. I sent an email to you and did not
>>hear from you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: