Re: The Flower

Fri May 24 08:56:52 2002

Dear Cheryl:

That was just the message I nneded to keep me grounded today! Thank you so much, it's beautiful!

--
Clare

At Fri, 24 May 2002, Ccryder752@aol.com wrote: > >The park bench was deserted as I sat down to read >Beneath the weeping branches of an old willow tree, >Disillusioned by life with good reason to frown, >For the world was intent on dragging me down. > >And as if to ruin my rare quiet day, >A young boy approached me, all tired from play. >He stood right before me with his head tilted down >And said with excitement, "Look what I found!" > >In his hand was a flower, and what a pitiful sight, >With its petals all faded, from no rain or light. >Wanting him to take his dead flower and go play, >I faked a small smile and then shifted away. > >But instead of retreating he sat by my side >And sniffed at the flower and declared with surprise, >"It sure smells pretty and it's beautiful, too. >That's why I picked it; here, it's for you." > >The poor weed before me was dying or dead, >No bright vibrant colors, no yellow or red. >But I knew I must take it, or he might never leave. >So I reached out my hand and said, "Just what I need." > >But instead of him placing the flower in my hand, >He held it mid-air without reason or plan. >It was then that I noticed for the very first time >That weed-toting boy could not see, he was blind. > >I heard my voice quiver, tears shone like the sun >As I thanked him for picking the very best one. >"You're welcome," he smiled, and then ran off to play, >Unaware of the impact he'd had on my day. > >I sat there and wondered how he managed to see >A self-pitying woman beneath an old tree. >How did he know of my self-indulged plight? >Perhaps in his heart, he'd been blessed with true sight. > >Through the eyes of a blind child, at last I could see >The problem was not with the world, it was me. >And for all of those times I myself had been blind >I vowed to see beauty, and appreciate what's mine. > >I held that wilted flower up to my nose >And breathed in the fragrance of a beautiful rose, >And smiled as the boy, another weed in his hand, >Went to change the life of an unsuspecting old man. Author Unknown

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: