Re: Pain after surgery

Thu May 16 09:14:55 2002

Hi Brenda,

I have had a bikini line cut seven times in exactly the same place. Four of them were for c-section delivery of my girls and then my nightmare hysterectomy, followed five days later by a "hernia repair" half of my bowel pushed through the muscle wall & the incision was opening from the inside out....

I had my ovaries out April 2001, also by the same bikini line. Each time the pain was different, but I did feel some of the pain you are describing after last years surgery. I had my ovaries removed because I was told that my adhesions were simply too bad and it would be impossible to use a laparoscope.

Hmmm well guess my new A+ medical team (Yeah I think they are great) and they did a LOT of work using laparoscopic procedure.

I think that it is still a bit early to tell yet exactly what is going on, but one of the things we adhesions gals do.... is read things into every twinge and pain. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to trivialise what you are experiencing. It was a conversation I had with Prof. Vancaillie one morning...about 4 or 5 days post op, I was very emotional & teary and upset with myself because I felt I had "let them down" - the doctors, because i wasn't recovering as quickly as I imagined I should be.

I had been reading all the posts from board members who had been to Scranton for surgery & then booked into a motel suite across the road from the hospital the same day, or the day after!! I thought there was something wrong with me! He told me Brenda that I had the bar on the hugh jump raised way too high, and that I should relax, forget about the pain...as in, take pain meds when needed and just ease back into my routine... within a few days I was down to 10 mg of Oxycontin twice daily with oxycodone & valium for breakthrough pain.

OK, an hour after discharge we had a car accident, and Shane & I spent 2 days in another inner city hospital (Sydney), we live three and a half hour drive west of Sydney over the other side of the Blue mountains.... so my pain meds increased because now I had bumps & bruises & pain to deal with from that too! So I was put on 20mg oxycontin twice daily with oxycodone & Valium for breakthrough pain.

Once I was home I felt great! I cook dinner, do "some" washing and I spend more time with my family...I haven' done that for two years!!

The last few nights have been bad, I have also had to start self-catheterising again since the accident.... Jason had removed the adhesions from my bladder & it was working!!!! I didn't have to catheterise once! So today back to the doc & now I am on 40mg oxycontin twice a day.... with the usual other stuff...... it is going to take time for everything to settle down. Hopefully my bladder is being an "irritated child" & refusing to work properly because it didn't enjoy being thrown around the car, hen being strangled by the seat belt & slammed back into my seat either. So...... Brenda.... try & relax, give yourself time to heal, a bikini cut isn't a romp in the park, and keep that towel handy for when you want to cough, laugh or sneeze ;-)

If you aren't feeling any improvement in the next week or so, go crack some heads and get some answers! You need a hug a day from someone close to you....and that hug is from me to you..... us healing together...God Bless & best wishes.... BUT if you have any doubts and things don't feel right get straight to the ER & yell loudly for help.... **cheeky grin** It always helps me get what I want in ER waiting rooms ;-) hehehe

--
Love and gentle hugs,
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer
reaching out to help others.