Re: symptom of adhesion

Sun May 12 05:33:16 2002

Hi Connie,

Yes I have had the feeling you describe, the pressure & discomfort around the rectal area. I know I have adhesions somewhere in that area, I know that I have them between the rectum and vagina.

The time that I feel the pressure and discomfort you describe, is when I am having bowel problems, such as slight to moderate constipation. Is it under these circumstances that you feel this pressure and discomfort Connie?

I take the threat of severe constipation seriously, as an adhesions sufferer, I KNOW that it is important that I keep my bowel as healthy as possible. As I have said in just a post or two ago, my diet, exercise and my intake of fluids, particularly water just can't be emphasized enough.

If you are having these sorts of problems, then I suggest you talk to your doctor and work out a regime that works for YOU, I have mine, worked out in consultation with my doctor and I take two coloxyl in the morning and two at night. I have cereal and a high fibre diet, I drink at least six to eight glasses of water a day AND IF I find myself sitting on the toilet and I can't quite get things "moving", I know it is time to stop straining.

Sit on the toilet with several books under your feet or a short stool. Why? Our bowl is actually designed so that we defficate in the squatting position, now we are civilised and "sit" on a toilet, our bowel is not in the "best" position to allow gravity to help the "process". If this doesn't help, then it is time to try two glycerine suppositories... I know I can hear you saying ewwweeeeeee BUT if you can tolerate it for 15 minutes and to the best advantage try to wait for half an hour. The glycerine suppositories I was told by my surgeon also work to stimulate the bowel, which should be "moving" all the time, and when we get constipated, that process slows down.

Well I hope I have done justice to the way it was explained to me, BUT it is important with our condition that we pay careful attention to the health of our bowel.... because if we get constipated, and then severly constipated.....we KNOW it ends to pain, dismfort and a lot of distress and nobody really wants to go down that path....it happened once......it will NEVER happen to me again.

Well, I have been heavy in my responses to messages today haven't I! Sorry Connie, but I hope my long winded ramblings give you some ideas and perhaps some answers... don't stop asking questions here.....as far as I am concerned, the only stupid question, is one that doesn't get asked.

--
Love and gentle hugs,
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer
reaching out to help others.