Re: Clare - Neurologist

Thu May 9 16:57:38 2002

Nancy:

I can't reproduce it myself either, but he could and all he had to do was touch certain parts around my knees and elbows. My reflexes are fine, too. He said there's a nerve that runs from your spine to your pelvis and also runs to your extremities (I don't think he said what it was called). He said he felt for sure the tumor was pressing on it, and that if the feeling didn't come back all the way a couple of months after the surgery that would mean that the nerve was permanently dammaged. He said that the surgery could have dammaged it further.

My extremities are not always cold, but about 80% of the time. I do have arthritis, but my hands do get so cold that they turn colors (Renaud's I think it's called). All since the surgery. The outside fingers and toes are the worst for both the cold and loss of feeling.

The neurologist told me to avoid putting my elbows on the table, or my elbow out the car window etc. He said that it would eventually make my hands worse. Hey, I'm not the Dr., I'm just telling you what he said!! Sounds silly when I type it but this is what he told me.

He was a young guy, and seemed pretty up to date on things. He did offer me more tests, but at the time I was more concerned about the swelling. Now I'm so used to it that it's just annoying and ugly so I feel like Quasimoto!! (sp?) Instantly after the laparotomy I developed a lot of spider veins and some fairly big varicose veins in my legs too.

Nancy, I do not loose total feeling in my entire legs (just mainly my feet), nor do I fall. I strongly urge you to see a neurologist - what can it hurt?

Hugs,

--
Clare

At Thu, 9 May 2002, Nancy E. Hale wrote: > >Hello Buddy: > >No, no one has suggested a neurologist, and other than possible involvement >of the nerves, muscles, and circulation to my legs with the adhesions, I >don't believe there is any possibility of nerve damage. My hands and feet >are always cold, and yes, at times, I do wake up with hands and arms >"asleep". I've tried to recreate the sensations, can't do it myself, and >my reflexes have always tested good. Another "Mystery in the Maritimes" ;) > >Hugs, > >Nancy in NB

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: