Re: Adhesions and bowel obstructions

Sun May 5 17:14:53 2002

Millie, Yes, bowel obstructions can and are seen on x-rays, ct's and probably a large number of tests. When you have a bowel obstruction you will be in an extreme amount of pain......worse than anything you have ever experienced. As for the nasogastric tube, yes I have had a large number of them placed while I was awake. It is NOT a pleasant experience. I don't want to lie to you. It is one of the most awful things that I have gone through. Luckily it doesn't take more than five or ten minutes to get it down, but those five or ten minutes will bring lots of tears to your eyes...and I am not kidding about that. The placement of the tube must effect the tear ducts or the sinuses because the water sure does flow. Unless you are in awful pain Millie, much worse than what you have been experienced, I wouldn't be too overly worried about having an obstruction. When I had my obstruction there was no way that I would NOT have gone to the ER. It was just that painful. Questions to ask yourself: Are you passing gas? Is your abdomen distended more than normal? Are you experiencing diarrhea? Are you vomiting? Are you having abdominal pain and cramping? I am not a doctor, but these are all symptoms which I had when I had my obstruction. The vomiting was key. I would eat and within ten minutes would vomit it back up...with no warning. My advice to you is that if you are that worried about having an obstruction then you need to see a doctor. Whether you choose to see the same doctor or not is your choice. If you are obstructed then you should be so backed up by now...you said its been a week...that you would have all of these signs and should get to a doctor immediately. If your doctor doesn't give you an exam of your abdomen then its up to you to tell him....HEY LOOK! I AM HERE BECAUSE I AM CONCERNED ABOUT HAVING AN OBSTRUCTION...DO YOU WANT TO BE SUED WHEN I END UP HAVING SURGERY OR DYING BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T BOTHER TO EVEN CHECK MY ABDOMEN? I guarantee you will be checked then....but only you can do it. This isn't meant to be cold or cruel. I know that you have been very worried about obstructions before so I have just given it to you straightforward. No sense sugar coating it when you've been there before. God Bless you! Karla Major complaints include abdominal distention, nausea, vomiting, and crampy abdominal pain.

Abrupt onset of symptoms makes an acute obstructive event (eg, cecal or sigmoid volvulus) a more likely diagnosis.

Millie <milliem@citlink.net> wrote: I guess a stupid question would be the one I don't ask, so here goes.For the past nearly a week, I've been feeling like I don't move my bowels right. It's as if my insides are all jumbled up, and now even the little bit of loose stool I have (very little) doesn't want to come out. I have a funny feeling in the left side, especially. I also feel as if I have no urge to go.My questions are:How is a partial, or a total bowel obstruction diagnosed?How are they treated?Has anyone here ever had a nasogastric tube inserted while they were awake? I am terrified this is going to happen to me!!!!Should I seek out a surgeon, or a gastro, because I hurt so much and feel awful?Do xrays show anything, or do CT scans? I just do NOT want to end up being cut open again. I am TERRIFIED!!!!!!!I went to my family Dr., Thursday. Of course, I was in tears, but I told him I was in discomfort,(it's worse since then.)He didn't even press on my belly, nor did he do a rectal, when I told him it feels like either the rectum is out of place, or that I wonder if maybe the bowels have dropped, due to the hyst in2001. I got NO exam. I asked him to send me for hormone tests,as I feel they are out of whack. He only gave me something for depression.Please help, Please Karla, or Helen, or anyone.Thanks. Pain free hugs to all.Millie.

Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: