Re: Barb - Intergel

Fri Apr 26 19:10:54 2002

Hi Kuma:

I think you may have misunderstood what Karla stated. She said "Here is my take on Intergel. It isn't as effective as it was supposed to be." I interpreted that Karla was expressing her personal opinion, and I don't see anything uninformed and misleading in her statement. This is what she's learned from what she has researched. Nothing untrue in something that's your own opinion...to me.

Karla's opinion seems consistant with what I've read thus far, but I admit I'm not terribly schooled in barriers. Where did you see the 50 to 100% success rate at second look lap? Could you please point me to that info please? I did go to the lifecore site, but it seems that they are promoting the Intergel mainly as a preventative measure. The only stats I could find were the ones saying that in a Sept 2001 study they found a 59% reduction in fertility scoring. I did read the cautions section, and it does seem that Intergel has some restrictions (ie surgery involving bowel/bladder/kidney/pregnancy). For instance, I don't think I could have it used on me, as I need bowel adhesions lysed. Otherwise, I just saw quotations of "significant reduction" of adhesions, but no numbers to tell me what they mean by significant.

If Intergel has a successful lyses rate of 50 - 100%, and no side effect problems, then let's look at the data supporting this and make our informed decisions! I don't, however, put much stock in an infection rate, as I believe that infection is generally the result of procedure, and I would not EXPECT any surgery to result in infection.

>From what I read on the lifecore site, I believe that Intergel is
somewhat successful in the prevention of adhesions. I'm not sure how well it helps those already suffering with adhesions, but I bet a lot of it's success will be with very skilled surgeons. I think that Karla's intent was to get Barb to research both the Intergel and the Spraygel thoroughly, and if the Spraygel continues to have the success rate that Germany is claiming, it might be advisable for those of us who don't have obstructions to wait, rather than have another surgery with unknown results or side effects.

I know one thing, I had an adhesiolysis (sp?) almost 2 months ago, and I'm in more pain now than before. No barrier was used. I would never let a surgeon near me again who would not at least attempt using a barrier...but until I see better stats...I'm going to wait.

Best wishes. Clare

At Fri, 26 Apr 2002, kuma wrote: >
>Karla
>
>Your statement about Intergel was very uniformed and misleading. I know
>many people who have had great success with this product. When you make
>untrue statement such has Intergel's lack of efficacy or presence of
>serious side effects, you then basically deprive individuals in need
>from opprotunity of finding a good cure.
>
>Barb
>
>Intergel definetly can help you, specially if you are prone to serious
>adhesions. It reduces adhesions by over 50% in severe cases or
>eliminate it all together. In 40000 surgeries in Europe, only two cases
>of infection reported.
>
>Find the company's phone number or use their web address and ask them to
>provide you information regarding this matter. http://www.lifcore.com
>
>Good luck
>
>At Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Karla N wrote:
>>
>> Barb,
>>Here is my take on Intergel. It isn't as effective as it was supposed to be. I don't know many, if any, people who have had success with it and it causes some very serious side affects. There is another product that is in testing in this country but available in Germany, Australia and perhaps Canada....called SprayGel. So far things look pretty good with this product, but I would wait until the doctors are properly trained on its use before seeking the treatment. Wait until we start hearing some good things, besides in this country it is only being tested in two states and you have a 50% likelihood of not having the product used. Not good enough odds for me.
>>Karla
>>
>> Hello, this is my first time to this site and I would like to hear from
>>somebody that has had any relief or hope for a brighter future, or know
>>if this
>>intergel barrier really works or is it another reason to develop more
>>adhesions
>>and all the other complications that we get after another surgery???
>>Need help!!!!
>>Barb.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: